Forums » Movies

My Top 10 Movies of 2012

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    July 17, 2013 5:08 PM EDT

For years it's been an annual thing for me to list my Top 10 movies of the year. Here I go again:

MY TOP 10 OF 2012

1)Zero Dark Thirty -The most fearless of all Best Picture nominees. Completely blew me away.

2)Silver Linings Playbook - Should have the subtitle Crazy In Love. Or is that Crazies?

3)Beasts Of The Southern Wild-Environmentalism meets a folks tale. Hushpuppy has to be the best child movie role of this decade so far.

4)The Life of Pi-Definitely the fantasy movie of the year. Will enchant you the minute you see it.

5)Argo-A moment of history you know will end on a good note but it makes you forget all that and capture the moment.

6)Les Miserables-Successfully captures the spirit of the musical. Might make you want to sing along too.

7)Lincoln-Recaptures a moment of history both with the focus of the man and the politics of the time.

8)Searching For Sugar Man-A unique documentary about the rock legend we never knew until now. Keeps us in the mystery of what happened to him too.

9)The Master-Not only captures the essence of the Svengali cult-like leader but one of his worshippers he tries to control. A good success.

10)Amour-Surprisingly able to portray some hard truths about again and love with beauty. An accomplishment.

HONORABLE MENTION:

-Moonrise Kingdom-A story of child love that's very oddball but somehow manages to charm those who see it.

-Django Unchained-I don't know. I think in another year I would've liked it more because Zero Dark Thirty was more fearless and Lincoln made his slave revenge look like a joke. It made me think Tarantino has a lust over the theme of revenge.

-The Dark Knight Rises-Is Christopher Nolan possibly the best director of the Batman story ever?

-The Hunger Games-The thing that separates this from Twilight is that it focuses on the drama of the story rather  than making eye-candy out of the actors. Definitely a winner.

-Wreck-It Ralph-This has to be the animated movie of the year. Succeeds in entertaining and thrilling us.

OTHER PICKS:

-Best Popcorn Movie: The Dark Knight Rises

-Best Animated Film: Wreck-It Ralph

-Best Foreign-Language Film: Amour

-Most Morally Redeeming Film: Les Miserables

-Best Comedy: Ted-C'mon. You have to admit this is the comedy of the year. A story that would normally be cheesy but it took Seth's writing to make it work.

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor at July 24, 2013 10:11 PM EDT
  • Rachel
    • 83 posts
    July 17, 2013 5:15 PM EDT

Well thought the years I value your taste in movies so a few on that list I think now I will give a watch to.

• CB_Fan
    • 6 posts
    July 17, 2013 9:22 PM EDT

I have only seen Life of Pi and Beasts Of The Southern Wild and I loved both of them those others not my type. lolz

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    July 17, 2013 9:43 PM EDT

Trevor I was waiting for your list and once again very impressive, now I have to go and give Zero dark another try as I initially walked out with some others when I saw the torture scenes.

If you watched it all and was that impress to name it your top then maybe I need to watch this right through.

• JeffJones
    • 84 posts
    July 17, 2013 11:07 PM EDT

Love the list, I would however have Django way up the list. I also at first dismissed "Zero Dark Thirty" but after sitting down and watching it I too would have it on my top ten list. Love it like I said I would move "Django Unchained" right to number one and I would move "Searching for Sugarman" to honorable mention.

• Lone
    • 15 posts
    July 20, 2013 10:57 AM EDT

So I guess movies made for kids are garbage only Wreck It Ralph and Life of Pi I have seen others no intrest at all.

• Chris Kross
    • 37 posts
    July 22, 2013 1:22 PM EDT

The Dark Knight was the best, also liked Django and Wreck It Ralph.

Good list mate.

This post was edited by Chris Kross at July 22, 2013 1:23 PM EDT
  • Skater_TJ
    • 90 posts
    July 22, 2013 9:53 PM EDT

Django Unchained was the best movie of 2012 in my book, I also like Zero Dark Thirty and Life of Pi and can't forget Wreck It Ralph.

• ILuvCJ
    • 1 posts
    July 24, 2013 10:08 PM EDT

I love The Life of PI, Wreck It Ralph and Beast of the Southern Wild.

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    July 24, 2013 10:10 PM EDT
    JeffJones said:

Love the list, I would however have Django way up the list. I also at first dismissed "Zero Dark Thirty" but after sitting down and watching it I too would have it on my top ten list. Love it like I said I would move "Django Unchained" right to number one and I would move "Searching for Sugarman" to honorable mention.

Thaks for your advise. I don't know what it was. When I went to see it on the day after New Years, I saw the poster for it 'life, liberty and the pursuit of vengeance' and I thought to myself "Not another Tarantino revenge movie." Maybe it was just my feelings at the time. Also what it could've been was I saw Lincoln weeks earlier. I thought Lincoln was a good movie about slavery being done justice. So when I went to see Django, I thought that this slave revenge story appeared ridiculous. I don't know but I was left with a feeling for weeks where I wondered if Tarantino was obsessed with the theme of revenge or masturbating over it. Maybe it was a case of the right movie at the wrong time. If they released it last year, I think I would've appreciated it more.

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    July 24, 2013 10:15 PM EDT
    Lone said:

So I guess movies made for kids are garbage only Wreck It Ralph and Life of Pi I have seen others no intrest at all.

Not all are garbage. Actually the animated movies of Brave and Frankenweenie were also very good. Don't forget I named a family movie, Hugo, #1 last year. Hey, making a Top 10 list isn't easy. So many good movies. Only room for ten on the list.

• Sofine
    • 66 posts
    July 26, 2013 9:06 PM EDT

Seen all but 4 of them on that list and I loved them all with Lincoln being my fav movie of them all.

• Jon_Brit
    • 33 posts
    July 27, 2013 2:27 PM EDT

Personally not one of you top ten I even bothered to see, they don't appeal to me I am more a Dark Knight Rising, Pacific Rim kind of lad I just want to be entertained not put to sleep. by stuff like Amour.

Not that your list is not good movies to the true movie fanatics that like that sort.

This post was edited by Jon_Brit at July 27, 2013 2:27 PM EDT
  • Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    July 27, 2013 8:27 PM EDT
    Yes a lot of those titles wont appeal to kids your age.

Jon_Brit said:

Personally not one of you top ten I even bothered to see, they don't appeal to me I am more a Dark Knight Rising, Pacific Rim kind of lad I just want to be entertained not put to sleep. by stuff like Amour.

Not that your list is not good movies to the true movie fanatics that like that sort.

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    August 20, 2013 11:39 PM EDT
    Jon_Brit said:

I know what you mean. I'm 27 so of course the oher types would appeal to me. It's not to say I'm not entertained by your kind of movies. I like them too. However I put film quality ahead of my personal preferences when making such a list. I didn't really enjoy Amour either but I thought it was an excellent film. There are a lot of films I don't like but I consider excellent as far as filmmaking goes.

• Jon_Brit
    • 33 posts
    August 21, 2013 9:54 AM EDT

@OmahaTrevor, ye I understand exactly what you mean and I know the movies on your que are loved by the real cineam fans but I see you also understand what I meant.

However I have seen some slow artsy type movies that I have liked, for instance that oldie "Billy Elliot" I liked and that is no action film.

I also liked comedy another oldie "The Full Monty" was bloody hilarious lad.