Forums » Movies

My Academy Award Predictions

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    March 1, 2014 11:59 PM EST

Yep, the Oscars will be given out this Sunday. This year will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. She's an entertainer most can trust and she even proved herself a good Oscar host seven years ago.

Once again, I’ve seen all the Best Picture nominees. This makes it the thirteenth year in a row in which I’ve done such. And I’m ready again to make my predictions for who Should Win (SW) for most categories, who Will Win (WW) and for the Closest Threat (CT) to upset my winner prediction for many categories. Anyways here I go:

BEST PICTURE:
    SW & WW: Twelve Years A Slave
    CT: Gravity

This has been a tight dilemma whether Gravity will win or Twelve Years A Slave. I'm with Twelve Years because of all the Best Picture wins it's received. However don't be surprised if there's an upset.

BEST DIRECTOR:
    WW: ALFONSO CUARON/Gravity
    SW & CT: STEVE McQUEEN/Twelve Years A Slave

Even if Gravity doesn't win Best Picture, Cuaron's win appears to be a definite lock. If you've seen Gravity, you'd know why.

BEST ACTOR:
    WW: MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY/Dallas Buyers Club
    SW & CT: CHIWETEL EJIOFOR/Twelve Years A Slave

This was a hard call as all five were excellent performances. Heck, any time you have a Best Actor five-set with Tom Hanks missing, you know the five have to be excellent. Nevertheless this is MattMac's year.

BEST ACTRESS:
    SW & WW: CATE BLANCHETT/Blue Jasmine
    CT: SANDRA BULLOCK/Gravity

It's been said that starring in a Woody Allen movie can give one an advantage come Oscar time. That seems to be the case for Cate this year.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
    SW & WW: JARED LETO/Dallas Buyers Club
    CT: BARKHAD ABDI/Captain Phillips

I remember reading Linda Hunt won a Supporting Actress Oscar in 1983 for playing a man. I think Jared will be the first actor for winning an Oscar for portraying a woman. Actually I don't think that will could since the woman used to be a man.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
    SW & WW: LUPITA NYONG'O/Twelve Years A Slave
    CT: JENNIFER LAWRENCE/American Hustle

Yes, Jennifer sure has won a lot at the age of 23. Already she has three Oscar nominations and a Best Actress win from last year. However I think the Oscar will go to Lupita. This will make it the first big screen debut performance since Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls to win. Surprisingly Lupita's performance isn't the only debut performance nominated this year. Barkhad Abdi was the other.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
    SW: WOODY ALLEN/Blue Jasmine
    WW: SPKE JONZE/Her
    CT: DAVID O. RUSSELL & ERIC SINGER/American Hustle

Isn't it something how Her was intended to be the more eccentric movie but the script made more sense than American Hustle did? A deserving winner.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
    SW & WW: JOHN RIDLEY/Twelve Years A Slave
    CT: BILLY RAY/ Captain Phillips

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:
    SW & WW: Frozen
    CT: The Wind Rises

Let's face it. Frozen is the animated movie of 2013. So popular it was even re-released with a sing-along version. In a year that saw fanfare amongst monsters and minions, who would've thought an ice queen and a goofy snowman would've blown past them?

BEST ART DIRECTION:
    WW: The Great Gatsby
    CT: Gravity

Yes, outer space is still considered set design. I think it was nominated because the design had 100% believability that the actors were in outer space.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
    WW: EMMANUEL LUBEZKI/ Gravity

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
    SW & WW: PATRICIA NORRIS/Twelve Years A Slave
    CT: CATHERINE MARTIN/The Great Gatsby

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:
    20 Feet From Stardom

BEST FILM EDITING:
    WW: ALFONSO CUARON & MARK SANGER/Gravity
    CT: JOE WALKER/Twelve Years A Slave

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
    SW & WW: The Great Beauty - Italy
    CT: The Hunt - Denmark

BEST MAKEUP:
    WW: Dallas Buyers Club

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
    WW: STEVEN PRICE/Gravity
    SW & CT: ARCADE FIRE/Her

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
    SW & WW: Let It Go - Frozen
    CT: Ordinary Love - Mandela

Admit it. Let It Go is not only the movie song of the year but the movie song of the decade so far. Hard-pressed to beat.

BEST SOUND MIXING:
    WW: Gravity

BEST SOUND EDITING:
    CT: Captain Phillips

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:

CT: Star Trek Into Darkness

Admit it. Gravity had the effects of the year. Hands down.

And there you have it. My predictions for Sunday’s Oscars. Winners to be decided there and then. Let’s hope the wins go to the right movies.

• OG John
    • 86 posts
    March 2, 2014 10:17 AM EST

No Tom Hanks as best actor from the stuffed shirts at the academy, hmmmmmmmm someone must have put something in their Pernod Ricard Perrier Jouet.

• O\u043f\u0456\u043a\u0443\u043d
    • 71 posts
    March 2, 2014 12:48 PM EST

Well one that I am almost sure and would bet money on is Gravity for the visual effects.

• Film_Fan
    • 53 posts
    March 3, 2014 11:16 AM EST

OmahaTrevor year after year you continue to amaze, you nailed it my friend so when are you going to get that big gig in Entertainment?

• Sofine
    • 66 posts
    March 3, 2014 8:27 PM EST

Trevor is good, yes he is good.

• O\u043f\u0456\u043a\u0443\u043d
    • 71 posts
    March 4, 2014 1:16 PM EST

Great picks, sure got them bang on in the major positions.