There are some of you who may have wondered when I'll finally publish my annual movie list like I normally do. Well here goes:
MY TOP 10 OF 2013
- Nebraska-It first appears to set up for a cheesy story but turns out to be a gem in the end.
- Dallas Buyers Club- Great acting and an intriguing story that makes you think.
- Twelve Years A Slave-Hard to watch at times but really an excellent work.
- Gravity-Usually movies don't allow for too much creativity or originality. This was excellent and winning.
- Captain Phillips-Has one of Tom Hanks' best performances as well as an excellent upstaging by newcomer Barkhad Abdi.
- Blue Jasmine-A phony who could please 'em all but pleased nobody in the end.
- Her-This may be an eccentric story like a lot of Spike Jonze's movies but it makes sense in the end.
- The Great Beauty-An Italian film that reminds us of passion.
- The Wolf Of Wall Street-Too over the top to rank higher. Nevertheless makes it very clear how money is possibly the most addictive drug.
- Frozen-This year's top animated movie spawned a following that grew and grew over time. Something that hasn't happened in years.
- Blue Is The Warmest Color-I hope none of you see this before you turn 18! No matter how good this film is.
- Inside Llewyn Davis-A good depiction of a folk musician from way back.
- Before Midnight-Possibly the end of a romance trilogy spanning 18 years. As the actors age, the story progresses with them.
- Philomena-A charming story involving a topic many in Ireland find hard to speak of.
- American Hustle-Is this a crime story or is it showtime for the actors? I'm confused.
Best Animated Feature: Frozen- A no-brainer. How many other movies in 2013 inspired a sing-along version?
Best Popcorn Movie: Gravity- It was eye-catching, well-written, well-acted and paid off well at the box office.
Best Comedy: Blue Jasmine- Woody Allen always delivers with an entertaining story without the typical Hollywood ending.
Best Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty- Just when you thought the flare of Italian filmmaking had flared out, it makes a comeback.
Best Documentary Feature: Twenty Feet From Stardom- t reminds you that sometimes being a backup singer is better than being the star voice.
And there you have it. My top picks. Feel free to let me know your thoughts.