Forums General Movies
  • Topic: My 2014 Oscar Winner Predictions

    Back To Topics
    (5 rates)
    • February 19, 2015 8:26 PM EST
      • Post(s)
        54
      • Thank(s)
        2
      • Thanked
        342
      • cR(s)
        342 0

      My 2014 Oscar Winner Predictions

      Did you think I'd let this Oscar season go by without me predicting the winners? Of course not. Here I have my predictions on who I think Should Win (SW) if I feel I can make one, Will Win by the looks of things and the Closest Threat to the winner:
       
      BEST PICTURE:
      SW & WW: Boyhood
      CT: Birdman
       
      This year's big question for Best Picture was 'The Boy or the Bird?' I think Boyhood will triumph although Birdman does look hot on its heals. Remember Birdman did not get an editing nomination which might hurt it.
       
      BEST DIRECTOR:
      SW & WW: RICHARD LINKLATER/Boyhood
      CT: ALEJANDRO GONZALES INARRITU/Birdman
       
      It's been Richard's for the taking mostly but Alejandro won the Guild award. 
       
      BEST ACTOR:
      SW & WW: EDDIE REDMAYNE/The Theory of Everything
      CT: MICHAEL KEATON/Birdman
       
      Playing a person that existed is a big boost in this category. Eight of the fourteen winners of this award in the 21st century have won playing someone who existed. Only Michael Keaton's performance is of a fictional person. I would not be surprised if Eddie won but if Michael won, by the looks of the other categories, this will be the first Oscars since 1997 in which all four acting awards went to performances of fictional people.
       
      BEST ACTRESS:
      SW & WW: JULIANNE MOORE/Still Alice
      CT: REESE WITHERSPOON/Wild
       
      Hollywood may be famous for its blondes but it does have its legendary gingers with Katharine Hepburn, Deborah Kerr, Sissy Spacek and Julianne Moore. Amy Adams may well be on her way to becoming Hollywood's top ginger for now but before she does, give Julianne her Oscar.
       
      BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
      SW & WW: J.K. SIMMONS/Whiplash
      CT: EDWARD NORTON/Birdman
       
      That teacher J.K. Simmons played was quite something. Doesn't he seem more like sports coach to you at times?
       
      BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
      SW & WW: PATRICIA ARQUETTE/Boyhood
      CT: EMMA STONE/Birdman
       
      Sometimes Boyhood makes you wonder is it all about the boy or could it be more about the mother? Kudos for Patricia for being a scene-stealer.
       
      BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
      SW: RICHARD LINKLATER/Boyhood
      WW: WES ANDERSON & HUGO GUINNESS/The Grand Budapest Hotel
      CT: ALEJANDRO GONZALES INARRITU & 3 Friends/Birdman
       
      Isn't it something that when The Grand Budapest Hotel was released back in May, it was considered too quirky at that time? Now people have grown to enjoy it. Was Anderson's biggest hit so far.
       
      BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
      WW: GRAHAM MOORE/The Imitation Game
      SW & CT: ANTHONY McCARTEN/The Theory of Everything
       
      BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:
      SW: Big Hero 6
      WW: How To train Your Dragon 2
      CT: Tales Of The Princess Kaguya
       
      Just when you thought The LEGO Movie winning this award was a foregone conclusion, it doesn't even get nominated. Now it looks like Dragon 2 is the best bet but even that's not guaranteed. Kaguya or Big Hero 6 could upset.
       
      BEST ART DIRECTION:
      SW & WW: The Grand Budapest Hotel
      CT: Interstellar
       
      This year's nominees are a good mix of fantasia and time periods. How can you beat a quirky hotel from the 1930's in a quirky movie?
       
      BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
      WW: EMMANUEL LUBEDZKI/Birdman
      CT: ROBERT YEOMAN/ The Grand Budapest Hotel
       
      Hey, cinematography that mostly appears to be a single shot of following Riggan and everyone else around looks to be the cinematography of the year.
       
      BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
      SW & WW: MILENA CANONERO/The Grand Budapest Hotel
      CT: COLLEEN ATWOOD/Into The Woods
       
      BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:
      WW: CitizenFour
      CT: Finding Vivian Maier
       
      Another major snub in this category: Life Itself (the Roger Ebert documentary). Looks like it's CitizenFour's to lose.
       
      BEST FILM EDITING:
      SW: TOM CROSS/Whiplash
      WW: SANDRA ADAIR/Boyhood
      CT: BARNEY PILLING/The Grand Budapest Hotel
       
      Winning the Film Editing Oscar does not guarantee a win of Best Picture--Gravity won this category last year--but its nomination is significant. The last time a movie won Best Picture without an editing nomination was Ordinary People back in 1980. Will Birdman be the first since?
       
      BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
      WW: Ida (Poland)
      CT: Wild Tales (Argentina)
       
      BEST MAKEUP:
      WW: Guardians Of The Galaxy
      CT: The Grand Budapest Hotel
       
      BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
      SW: ALEXANDRE DESPLAT/The Grand Budapest Hotel
      WW: ALEXANDRE DESPLAT/The Imitation Game
      CT: JOHAN JOHANNSON/The Theory Of Everything
       
      This looks to finally be Alexandre Desplat's year with his seventh and eighth nominations. However the double-nomination could result in vote-splitting that could make neither a winner. 
       
      BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
      WW: "Glory" – Selma
      SW & CT: "Everything Is Awesome" - The LEGO Movie
       
      Talk about hard luck. 'Everything Is Awesome' is The LEGO Movie's only nomination and 'Glory' is Selma's only nomination outside of Best Picture. I'll never truly understand the Academy. Nevertheless both have the best chances of winning here. I'd give it to 'Glory.'
       
      BEST SOUND MIXING:
      WW: Whiplash
      CT: Birdman
       
      Normally this award would go to something like an action movie, or sci-fi or even animated. Isn't it weird neither of the two favorites fit into any of those categories?
       
      BEST SOUND EDITING:
      WW: Birdman
      CT: Unbroken
       
      BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
      WW: Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
      SW & CT: Interstellar
       
      Many of you were peeved off that Interstellar was not nominated for Best Picture. Hopefully the Academy can compensate for that by having Interstellar win here.
       
      BEST ANIMATED SHORT:
      WW: Feast
      CT: The Dam Keeper
       
      BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT:
      WW: The Phone Call
      CT: Aya
       
      BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT:
      WW: Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
      CT: White Earth
       
      And there you go. Those are my predictions for these Oscars. Tune in Sunday to see who wins. Also tune in to see if Neil Patrick Harris hits it off as a first-time host.
    • February 19, 2015 9:20 PM EST
      • Post(s)
        74
      • Thank(s)
        19
      • Thanked
        0
      • cR(s)
        0 -1

      Untitled title

      Yes I agree, Boyhod is such a good movie and such and amazing concept made over so many years it should clean up at the Oscars. :)

    • February 24, 2015 2:16 PM EST
      • Post(s)
        32
      • Thank(s)
        9
      • Thanked
        26
      • cR(s)
        27 -1

      Untitled title

      Boyhood should have won best pic but then I never seen Birdman, sounds real boring not a movie I would pay to see.

    • March 8, 2015 5:55 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
        54
      • Thank(s)
        2
      • Thanked
        342
      • cR(s)
        342 0

      Untitled title

      Riley said:

      Boyhood should have won best pic but then I never seen Birdman, sounds real boring not a movie I would pay to see.

      I agree. I was hoping for Boyhood to win. A conservative entertainment blogger put Birdman in its place when he called it "a movie only an Academy member can love."

    • March 13, 2015 9:03 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
        32
      • Thank(s)
        9
      • Thanked
        5
      • cR(s)
        6 0

      Untitled title

      Not at all Trevor, this has been an annual on TSO for well over 10 years??? wow unreal that there is a core of us been ehre I remeber form 2003 back on Delphi forums..even JP drops in sometimes but I heard he is the admin at Jeremy Sumpter official page and forum.
      OmahaTrevor85 said:
      Did you think I'd let this Oscar season go by without me predicting the winners? Of course not. Here I have my predictions on who I think Should Win (SW) if I feel I can make one, Will Win by the looks of things and the Closest Threat to the winner:
       
      BEST PICTURE:
      SW & WW: Boyhood
      CT: Birdman
       
      This year's big question for Best Picture was 'The Boy or the Bird?' I think Boyhood will triumph although Birdman does look hot on its heals. Remember Birdman did not get an editing nomination which might hurt it.
       
      BEST DIRECTOR:
      SW & WW: RICHARD LINKLATER/Boyhood
      CT: ALEJANDRO GONZALES INARRITU/Birdman
       
      It's been Richard's for the taking mostly but Alejandro won the Guild award. 
       
      BEST ACTOR:
      SW & WW: EDDIE REDMAYNE/The Theory of Everything
      CT: MICHAEL KEATON/Birdman
       
      Playing a person that existed is a big boost in this category. Eight of the fourteen winners of this award in the 21st century have won playing someone who existed. Only Michael Keaton's performance is of a fictional person. I would not be surprised if Eddie won but if Michael won, by the looks of the other categories, this will be the first Oscars since 1997 in which all four acting awards went to performances of fictional people.
       
      BEST ACTRESS:
      SW & WW: JULIANNE MOORE/Still Alice
      CT: REESE WITHERSPOON/Wild
       
      Hollywood may be famous for its blondes but it does have its legendary gingers with Katharine Hepburn, Deborah Kerr, Sissy Spacek and Julianne Moore. Amy Adams may well be on her way to becoming Hollywood's top ginger for now but before she does, give Julianne her Oscar.
       
      BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
      SW & WW: J.K. SIMMONS/Whiplash
      CT: EDWARD NORTON/Birdman
       
      That teacher J.K. Simmons played was quite something. Doesn't he seem more like sports coach to you at times?
       
      BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
      SW & WW: PATRICIA ARQUETTE/Boyhood
      CT: EMMA STONE/Birdman
       
      Sometimes Boyhood makes you wonder is it all about the boy or could it be more about the mother? Kudos for Patricia for being a scene-stealer.
       
      BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
      SW: RICHARD LINKLATER/Boyhood
      WW: WES ANDERSON & HUGO GUINNESS/The Grand Budapest Hotel
      CT: ALEJANDRO GONZALES INARRITU & 3 Friends/Birdman
       
      Isn't it something that when The Grand Budapest Hotel was released back in May, it was considered too quirky at that time? Now people have grown to enjoy it. Was Anderson's biggest hit so far.
       
      BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
      WW: GRAHAM MOORE/The Imitation Game
      SW & CT: ANTHONY McCARTEN/The Theory of Everything
       
      BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:
      SW: Big Hero 6
      WW: How To train Your Dragon 2
      CT: Tales Of The Princess Kaguya
       
      Just when you thought The LEGO Movie winning this award was a foregone conclusion, it doesn't even get nominated. Now it looks like Dragon 2 is the best bet but even that's not guaranteed. Kaguya or Big Hero 6 could upset.
       
      BEST ART DIRECTION:
      SW & WW: The Grand Budapest Hotel
      CT: Interstellar
       
      This year's nominees are a good mix of fantasia and time periods. How can you beat a quirky hotel from the 1930's in a quirky movie?
       
      BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
      WW: EMMANUEL LUBEDZKI/Birdman
      CT: ROBERT YEOMAN/ The Grand Budapest Hotel
       
      Hey, cinematography that mostly appears to be a single shot of following Riggan and everyone else around looks to be the cinematography of the year.
       
      BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
      SW & WW: MILENA CANONERO/The Grand Budapest Hotel
      CT: COLLEEN ATWOOD/Into The Woods
       
      BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:
      WW: CitizenFour
      CT: Finding Vivian Maier
       
      Another major snub in this category: Life Itself (the Roger Ebert documentary). Looks like it's CitizenFour's to lose.
       
      BEST FILM EDITING:
      SW: TOM CROSS/Whiplash
      WW: SANDRA ADAIR/Boyhood
      CT: BARNEY PILLING/The Grand Budapest Hotel
       
      Winning the Film Editing Oscar does not guarantee a win of Best Picture--Gravity won this category last year--but its nomination is significant. The last time a movie won Best Picture without an editing nomination was Ordinary People back in 1980. Will Birdman be the first since?
       
      BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
      WW: Ida (Poland)
      CT: Wild Tales (Argentina)
       
      BEST MAKEUP:
      WW: Guardians Of The Galaxy
      CT: The Grand Budapest Hotel
       
      BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
      SW: ALEXANDRE DESPLAT/The Grand Budapest Hotel
      WW: ALEXANDRE DESPLAT/The Imitation Game
      CT: JOHAN JOHANNSON/The Theory Of Everything
       
      This looks to finally be Alexandre Desplat's year with his seventh and eighth nominations. However the double-nomination could result in vote-splitting that could make neither a winner. 
       
      BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
      WW: "Glory" – Selma
      SW & CT: "Everything Is Awesome" - The LEGO Movie
       
      Talk about hard luck. 'Everything Is Awesome' is The LEGO Movie's only nomination and 'Glory' is Selma's only nomination outside of Best Picture. I'll never truly understand the Academy. Nevertheless both have the best chances of winning here. I'd give it to 'Glory.'
       
      BEST SOUND MIXING:
      WW: Whiplash
      CT: Birdman
       
      Normally this award would go to something like an action movie, or sci-fi or even animated. Isn't it weird neither of the two favorites fit into any of those categories?
       
      BEST SOUND EDITING:
      WW: Birdman
      CT: Unbroken
       
      BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
      WW: Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
      SW & CT: Interstellar
       
      Many of you were peeved off that Interstellar was not nominated for Best Picture. Hopefully the Academy can compensate for that by having Interstellar win here.
       
      BEST ANIMATED SHORT:
      WW: Feast
      CT: The Dam Keeper
       
      BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT:
      WW: The Phone Call
      CT: Aya
       
      BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT:
      WW: Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
      CT: White Earth
       
      And there you go. Those are my predictions for these Oscars. Tune in Sunday to see who wins. Also tune in to see if Neil Patrick Harris hits it off as a first-time host.

       

    • March 15, 2015 11:57 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
        63
      • Thank(s)
        15
      • Thanked
        14
      • cR(s)
        15 0

      Untitled title

      For as long as I have been around I have seen it. And look forward to it. I think you copuld write for an entertainment company like Entertainment Tonight or something like that.

    • March 16, 2015 9:07 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
        44
      • Thank(s)
        6
      • Thanked
        2
      • cR(s)
        2 0

      Untitled title

      Often I like your picks more than the eventual winners.

      This post was edited by $NavyBoy$ at March 16, 2015 9:08 PM EDT
    • March 20, 2015 10:44 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
        54
      • Thank(s)
        2
      • Thanked
        342
      • cR(s)
        342 0

      Untitled title

      $NavyBoy$ said:

      Often I like your picks more than the eventual winners.

      Sometimes I think I'm better at picking winners than the actual Academy.

    • April 4, 2015 8:45 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
        1
      • Thank(s)
        7
      • Thanked
        0
      • cR(s)
        0 0

      Untitled title

      I would like to win an Acadewmy Award one day. :D

      This post was edited by Jayden at April 4, 2015 8:46 PM EDT

    Icon Legend and Forum Rights

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel