My Top 10 Movies Of 2015
Okay. This is a bit late but I was able to see enough to finally make my list. Here I go with my Top 10 of the past year:
- The Big Short-A movie that will have you laughing but also have you outraged with the US Mortgage system at the same time.
- Mad Max: Fury Road- It's not simply an action movie. It's a movie that takes you to another world with intriguing characters. And a heroine that steals the show from Mad Max.
- The Revenant- A mix of action and mystery. Very intense drama.
- Ex Machina- 14 years after A.I.:Artificial Inteligence, we have a movie that does a drama of human interation with robots on a more intense level. As well as a surprise ending.
- Bridge Of Spies- The Cold War wasn't a violent war. Nevertheless the film did capture the intensity of the times and the drama of the Cold War. As well as a prisoner who steals the show from Tom Hanks.
- Spotlight- It's one thing to make a film about child sexual abuse watchable. Actually it was more about getting the story to the presses. Reminds us of the days of research before Google search and Wikipedia.
- Straight Outta Compton- Possibly the best musicography film I have seen in years. Of how five men changed rap and the music industry forever, and fell just as instantly as they rose.
- Room- It's the child Jack that most makes this story of a difficult topic watchable. It's a reminder of the spirit of love and hope in even some of the nastiest times.
- Carol- In a year when same-sex marriage is fully legalized in all 50 states, this love story of two women is a reminder of what they had to overcome those many decades ago.
- Inside Out- This film is a reminder that Pixar still leads the pack in terms of top notch animated movies.
- Sicario- A drug drama that's very intense and dramatic and delivers possibly the least sugar-coated movie ending of 2015.
- Love and Mercy- This year's second-best musicography. Helps you get to know the Beach Boys more, especially of Brian Wilson.
- The Hateful Eight- At first I was afraid this would be another Tarantino revenge movie but this was something different. Its quality is keeping the intensity mostly in one single place. You knew haign eight people with animousity to each other would have all hell breaking loose. It's just a question of when.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens- It was a long time coming but J.J. Abrams brings Star Wars back and the spirit of the story. Not to mention gets the actors acting.
- Brooklyn- A love story that keeps the drama of the two different worlds Eilis lives in.
- The Martian- Okay, it does have a lot of cheesy moments but it does make for an entertaining movie.
- Best Animated Feature: Inside Out- Unanimous pick.
- Best Sci-Fi Film: Mad Max: Fury Road- Sure, Star Wars was great but Mad Max was something else.
- Best Foreign-Language Film: The Assassin (Taiwan)- Very reminiscent of Couching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. You first think it's about an assassin doing their killings but it's actually the assassin contemplating their role and doing what's right.
- Best Popcorn Movie: Star Wars: The Force Awakens- Delievers everything you demand out of a popcorn movie. And the first Star Wars movie since Return Of The Jedi that doesn't disappoint.
- Best Superhero Movie: The Avengers: Age Of Ultron- Simply put, the Avengers do it again.
- Worst Movie Of The Year: Vacation- An insult to fans of the Vacation series. Mean-spirited punch-below the-belt humor, a Rusty Griswold that'sstupider than Clark ever was and just awful stock-acting from Ed Helms. Hey, at least The Fantastic Four was watchable.
And there you go. My thoughts for 2015's best.