Forums » Movies

My 2018 Oscar Winner Predictions

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    February 23, 2019 2:42 PM EST

This year’s Oscar’s ceremony has been a lot of chaos in terms of organizing. The addition, and later removal, of the Best Popular Film category, the removal of Kevin Hart as host and having no host (though that could change), and then the temporary agenda of having four categories during commercial breaks. All this panic because last year’s was the lowest-rated ever!

Outside of chaos for organizing, the awards season has had a lot of lopsided results. A lot of cases of films coming from nowhere to get nominated. Also a lot of Oscar snubs winning their guild awards like Emily Blunt and Bo Burnham. It really threw a wrench in a lot of predictions. However the show must go on.

Despite the insanity, I have been able to make my predictions this year. Some were easy, but others were hard. Here are my predictions of who Should Win (SW) and Will Win (WW) the Oscars, along with some Closest Threat (CT) picks:

BEST PICTURE

SW & WW: Roma

CT: Green Book

There’s a lot of confusion for who will win this category. If all go as planned normally and the winner has the best combined acting, directing, writing and editing, it would either be BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite or Vice. Roma may be missing an editing nomination but I think it will find itself the winner. It could become the first foreign-language film to win in this category. Also the first NetFlix film.

BEST DIRECTOR

SW & WW: ALFONSO CUARON/Roma

CT: SPIKE LEE/BlacKkKlansman

This could be the fifth year out of the past six that Best Director goes to a Mexican director.

BEST ACTOR

SW & WW: RAMI MALEK/Bohemian Rhapsody

CT: CHRISTIAN BALE/Vice

Before Freddie Mercury, Rami’s biggest break looked to be the Pharaoh in the Night At The Museum movies. This is a role of a lifetime.

BEST ACTRESS

SW & WW: GLENN CLOSE/The Wife

CT1: OLIVIA COLMAN/The Favourite

CT2: LADY GAGA/A Star Is Born

Everybody has a certain favorite Glenn Close role, whether it be Sarah Cooper, Teddy Barnes, Alex Forrest, Marquise Isabel, Cruella de Vil or Nova Prime Irani. After six previous nominations without winning, I think now is her time.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

SW & WW: MAHERSHALA ALI/Green Book

CT: RICHARD E. GRANT/Can You Ever Forgive Me

Thirteen of this year's twenty acting nominations are to roles of people who existed or exist. It's especially felt among the male nomineees as the male nominees from A Star Is Born are the only nomineesof fictional characters.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

SW & WW: REGINA KING/If Beale Street Could Talk

CT: RACHEL WEISZ/The Favourite

Talk about a lot of lopsided awards show results, to think Regina wasn’t nominated for a SAG award. Makes you wonder. Also to think the SAG winner was Emily Blunt from A Quiet Place. All these years of OscarWatching and the awards shows still don't make sense!

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

SW: ALFONSO CUARON/Roma

WW: NICK VALLELONGA, BRIAN HAYES CURRIE & PETER FARRELLY/Green Book

CT: DEBORAH DAVIS & TONY McNAMARA/The Favourite

Talk about lopsided results. Bo Burnham’s script for Eighth Grade was snubbed of a nomination but won the Writers Guild of America award. That makes things hard to predict here. Despite people debating the accuracy of the story in Green Book, I think it has the best chance of winning.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

WW: CHARLIE WACHTEL, DAVID RABINOWITZ, KEVIN WILLMOTT & SPIKE LEE/BlacKkKlansman

SW & CT: BARRY JENKINS/If Beale Street Could Talk

Spike Lee opened the door to a lot of African American directors. Barry Jenkins looks to be the heir apparent. Before Spike passes the torch, he has an Oscar to win. This could be it here.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

SS & WW: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

CT: The Incredibles 2

Remember last year there was a big debate here of which was better? Ferdinand or eventual winner CoCo? This year there’s no dispute. Spider-Verse had the best and most thrilling story along with a creative mesh of 3D animation and comic book images. To think 2018’s year in animation looked to be dominated by sequels.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

SW & WW: ALFONSO CUARON/Roma

CT: LUKASZ ZAL/Cold War

Interesting how three Best Foreign Language film nominees have their cinematographers nominated here. Cuaron will be man of the night on Sunday. For those into Oscar Trivia, has there ever been wins of both Best Director and Best Cinematographer in the past?

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

SW & WW: SANDY POWELL/The Favourite

CT: RUTH E. CARTER/Black Panther

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

WW: Free Solo

CT: RBG

BEST FILM EDITING

WW: JOHN OTTMAN/Bohemian Rhapsody

CT: HANK CORWIN/Vice

To think this is one of the four categories that was intended to be awarded during commercial breaks. Thanks to those of us that were unhappy, all 24 will have their moment broadcast.

BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM

WW: Cold War (Poland)

SW & CT: Roma (Mexico)

This category has had some big surprises in the past. Most people are expecting Roma to win, but I anticipate an upset from Cold War.

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

WW: GREG CANNOM, KATE BISCOE and PATRICIA DEHANEY/Vice

CT: JENNY SHIRCORE, MARC PILCHER and JESSICA BROOKS/Mary Queen of Scots

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

WW: NICHOLAS BRITTEL/If Beale Street Could Talk

SW & CT: LUDWIG GORANSON/Black Panther

To think the score from First Man wasn’t nominated.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

SW & WW: ‘Shallow’/A Star Is Born

CT: ‘All The Stars’/Black Panther

If Lady Gaga loses Best Actress, expect Gaga to applaud the winner while social media explodes with brattitude. Monsters indeed! However they will have no reason to throw a hissyfit as she’s the near-unanimous favorite here.

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

WW: FIONA CROMBIE/The Favourite

CT: HANNAH BEACHLER/Black Panther

Tough choice. Kensington Palace or Wakanda? I think the Academy favors timepieces over sci-fi fantasy sets.

BEST SOUND EDITING

WW: A Quiet Place

CT: First Man

To think this is the one nomination for A Quiet Place!

BEST SOUND MIXING

WW: A Star Is Born

CT: Bohemian Rhapsody

To think in a category normally dominated by sci-fi films, two of the biggest favorites are music movies.

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

WW: First Man

SW & CT: Avengers: Infinity War

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM

WW: Bao

CT: One Small Step

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

WW: Period. End Of Sentence

CT: Black Sheep

BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM

WW: Marguerite

CT: Skin

This category caught a load of controversy when Detainment was nominated. I think because of that, it won’t win.

And there you have it. My predictions for Sunday’s Academy Awards. There’s a rumor happening right now that Whoopi Goldberg may host this year. We’ll see tomorrow. We’ll also see who wins what.

• Sherrie Baby
    • 21 posts
    February 23, 2019 3:59 PM EST

I really hope Lady Gaga win, but the fix is in.

• CoolJ
    • 7 posts
    February 23, 2019 11:35 PM EST

Oh no, I hope Whoopi is not the host I hate her, dude you like this Roma movie what is about some gypsies or something? hey, ppl say you are a famous Entertainment columnist that post here???

• FilmGuy
    • 13 posts
    February 24, 2019 9:49 AM EST

Excellent picks I am glad to see the love for "Roma" my choice from the time I left the cinema, I expect it to be a multiple Oscar winner including best film but you never know lots of good competition.

This post was edited by FilmGuy at February 24, 2019 9:52 AM EST
  • Jenny
    • 4 posts
    February 24, 2019 8:33 PM EST

You know way better than I do I want A Star is Born to win I don't know anything about this Roma.

• Broderick
    • 10 posts
    February 25, 2019 8:10 PM EST

How did you even pick Green Book as a CT I don't know that wn for most came out of left field, I mean I heard Spike Lee was so miffed he tried to storm out.

• New_Girl
    • 5 posts
    February 25, 2019 11:33 PM EST

I like your picks much better then again I did not see Green Book so I don't know how good it was, I wanted A Star is Born to win and also Lady Gaga.

• Orin
    • 6 posts
    February 27, 2019 12:37 AM EST

My best pic is Black Panther, I like the choices of the voters of your poll than I do with the Oscars but then they are all teens like me so maybe that is why I agree.

This post was edited by Orin at February 27, 2019 12:38 AM EST
  • Britty_Baby
    • 8 posts
    February 27, 2019 1:29 PM EST

Rubbish group of rich elitist the nerve of leaving off Mary Poppins Returns.

• Adrienne
    • 7 posts
    February 27, 2019 9:20 PM EST

I heard there was a time when this show had millions of viewers who could not wait for Oscar night, like the 60s and 70s maybe 80s too but now it is a politics show.

• Shawn
    • 41 posts
    February 28, 2019 8:20 AM EST

WEll, they got the best-animated film right.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    March 2, 2019 4:30 PM EST
    I'm unhappy Green Book won, but it was my CT pick because it won the Golden Globe and the Producers Guild award.
    Broderick said:

How did you even pick Green Book as a CT I don't know that wn for most came out of left field, I mean I heard Spike Lee was so miffed he tried to storm out.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    March 2, 2019 4:32 PM EST
    Gaga won for Best Original song. I just hate when Twitterbrats throw a fit whenever Gaga loses Best Actress. I was shocked Olivia Colman won as I expected Glenn Close to finally win it. However Colman is very deserving of Best Actress.
    Sherrie Baby said:

I really hope Lady Gaga win, but the fix is in.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    March 2, 2019 4:34 PM EST
    Famous as far as TSO and Former teens Stars go. I like to write entertainment colums. I'm a teacher now. However I did have journalistic ambitions in college. Professors told me I was a great writer, but I had problems sticking within the word count. Besides I'm not egotistical or arrogant enough to make it as a journalist. I don't mind keeping my writing here.
    CoolJ said:

Oh no, I hope Whoopi is not the host I hate her, dude you like this Roma movie what is about some gypsies or something? hey, ppl say you are a famous Entertainment columnist that post here???

• BammerWee
    • 8 posts
    March 2, 2019 9:01 PM EST

I took a fit because I wanted the LADY to win the best actress, A Stars is Born and Black Panther was ripped off all around.

This post was edited by BammerWee at March 2, 2019 9:02 PM EST
  • FilmGuy
    • 13 posts
    March 4, 2019 9:02 PM EST

Disappointed but it is not the end of the world it is not like Green Book is not a good movie but I am such a fan of the excellent Roma. Now you also have Spielberg shooting his mouth off about banning Netflix from the Oscars.

This post was edited by FilmGuy at March 4, 2019 9:07 PM EST