Forums » Movies

My Predictions For The 2019 Oscar Nominees

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    January 12, 2020 4:53 PM EST

FTS got this post first and now you get it! This Oscar season has been going by real fast. The Golden Globes announced their winners last Sunday, Oscar nominees are tomorrow and the Oscar winners will be decided February 9th. That's the earliest I've ever seen them decided! What's up with that?

So that means I will have to post my Oscar nomination predictions today. I will predict the five I most believe will get nominated (ten for Picture and three for Hair and MakeUp), a Dark Horse or two who I think could best upset, and a For Your Consideration pick for who I feel doesn't have a chance but most deserves it. So here are my predictions:

BEST PICTURE:

• Ford vs. Ferrari (Titled as Le Mans '66 in the UK)
    • The Irishman
    • JoJo Rabbit
    • Joker
    • Knives Out
    • Marriage Story
    • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Parasite
    • Rocketman

Dark Horse 1: Little Women

DH2: The Two Popes

FYC: The Farewell

Predicting Best Picture nominees is not only hard for what you think will get in, but how many will get nominated. I decided to pick ten.

BEST DIRECTOR:

• BONG JOON-HO/ Parasite
    • GRETA GERWIG/ Little Women
    • SAM MENDES/ 1917
    • MARTIN SCORSESE/ The Irishman
    • QUENTIN TARANTINO/ Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

DH1: TODD PHILLIPS/ Joker

DH2: NOAH BAUMBACH/Marriage Story

FYC: JAMES MANGOLD/ Ford vs. Ferrari

BEST ACTOR:

• CHRISTIAN BALE/ Ford v Ferrari
    • LEONARDO Di CAPRIO/ Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • ADAM DRIVER/ Marriage Story
    • TARON EGERTON/ Rocketman
    • JOAQUIN PHOENIX/ Joker

DH1: ROBERT De NIRO/ The Irishman

DH2: ANTONIO BANDERAS/ Pain and Glory

FYC: EDDIE MURPHY/ Dolemite Is My Name

This is a tight race. Some are obvious contenders, but there are many others that are as capable of getting snubbed as they are in getting nominated.

BEST ACTRESS:

• AWKWAFINA/ The Farewell
    • CYNTHIA ERIVO/ Harriet
    • SCARLETT JOHANSSON/ Marriage Story
    • CHARLIZE THERON/ Bombshell
    • RENÉE ZELLWEGER/ Judy

DH1: SAOIRSE RONAN/ Little Women

DH2: LUPITA NYONG'O/ Us

FYC: ALFRE WOODARD/Clemency

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

• TOM HANKS/ A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    • JAMIE FOXX/ Just Mercy
    • AL PACINO/ The Irishman
    • JOE PESCI/ The Irishman
    • BRAD PITT/ Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

DH1: SONG HANG-KO/ Parasite

DH2: ANTHONY HOPKINS/ The Two Popes

Usually the supporting acting categories have a lot of first-time acting nominees. This year, it looks like vets have the best chances of nominations.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

• KATHY BATES/ Richard Jewell
    • LAURA DERN/ Marriage Story
    • SCARLETT JOHANNSON/ JoJo Rabbit
    • JENNIFER LOPEZ/ Hustlers
    • MARGOT ROBBIE/ Bombshell

DH1: NICOLE KIDMAN/ Bombshell

DH2: ANNETTE BENING/ The Report

FYC: ZHAO SHUZHEN/ The Farewell

This is the one major category that's the most unpredictable and has the most nominees from out of nowhere. We'll see how it holds up tomorrow.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

• NOAH BAUMBACH/ Marriage Story
    • BONG JOON-HO and HAN JIN-WON/ Parasite
    • RIAN JOHNSON/ Knives Out
    • SAM MENDES and KRISTIE WILSON-CAIRNS/ 1917
    • QUENTIN TARANTINO/ Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

DH1: JEZ BUTTERWORTH, JOHN-HENRY BUTTERWORTH and JASON KELLER/ Ford vs. Ferrari

DH2: BENNY SAFDIE, JOSH SAFDIE and RONALD BRONSTEIN/ Uncut Gems

FYC: LULU WANG/ The Farewell

For all five of my nomination predictions, the film's director either wrote or co-wrote the script too. New filmmakers, take note.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

• GRETA GERWIG/ Little Women
    • ANTHONY MCCARTEN/ The Two Popes
    • TODD PHILLIPS and SCOTT SILVER/ Joker
    • TAIKA WAITITI/ JoJo Rabbit
    • STEVEN ZAILLIAN/ The Irishman

DH1: MICAH FITZERMAN-BLUEand NOAH HARPSTER/ A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

FYC: EDWARD NORTON/ Motherless Brooklyn

Judging by most of the major Oscar nominations, this looks to be a very Netflix year!

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:

• Frozen II
    • How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
    • The Lion King
    • Missing Link
    • Toy Story 4

DH1: I Lost My Body

DH2: Alita: Battle Angel

FYC: The White Snake

This year consisted of a lot of animated sequels and even a 3D remake of a 2D classic.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:

• ROGER DEAKINS/ 1917
    • PHEDON PAPAMICHAEL/ Ford vs. Ferrari
    • RODRIGO PRIETO/ The Irishman
    • LAWRENCE SHER/ Joker
    • ROBERT RICHARDSON/ Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

DH1: CLAIRE MATHON/ Portrait Of A Lady On Fire

DH2: DICK POPE/ Motherless Brooklyn

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:

• MARK BRIDGES/ Joker
    • RUTH E. CARTER/ Dolemite Is My Name
    • JULIAN DAY/ Rocketman
    • JACQUELINE DURRAN/ Little Women
    • ARIANNE PHILLIPS/ Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

DH1: ANNA ROBBINS/ Downton Abbey

DH2: JENNY EAGAN/ Knives Out

Anyone else feel that most years, the Academy has a favoritism towards costumes of timepieces over say sci-fi films? I know Black Panther won last year, but most wins here have been timepieces.

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:

• American Factory
    • Apollo 11
    • For Sama
    • Honeyland
    • Maiden

DH1: One-Child Nation

DH2: The Cave

BEST FILM EDITING:

• JEFF GROTH/Joker
    • FRED RASKIN/ Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • THELMA SCHOONMAKER/ The Irishman
    • LEE SMITH/ 1917
    • YANG JIN-MO/ Parasite

DH1: MICHAEL McCUSKER and ANDREW BUCKLAND/ Ford vs. Ferrari

BEST HAIR and MAKE-UP:

• Downton Abbey
    • Judy
    • Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

DH1: 1917

DH2: Bombshell

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM:

• Atlantics (Senegal)
    • Honeyland (North Macedonia)
    • Les Miserables (France)
    • Pain And Glory (Spain)
    • Parasite (South Korea)

DH1: Painted Bird (Czech Republic)

DH2: Those Who Remained (Hungary)

Funny this is a category the Academy retitled from Best Foreign-Language Film. Interesting!

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:

• MICHAEL ABELS/ Us
    • ALEXANDRE DESPLAT/ Little Women
    • HILDUR GUDNADOTTIR/ Joker
    • THOMAS NEWMAN/ 1917
    • JOHN WILLIAMS/ Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker

DH1: RANDY NEWMAN/ Marriage Story

DH2: MARCO BELTRAMI and BUCK SANDERS/ Ford vs. Ferrari

FYC: MICHAEL GIACCHINO/ JoJo Rabbit

Even if John Williams doesn't have a score that gets a lot of accolades in other awards shows, he's almost guaranteed to get nominated for the Oscars. It's a given!

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:

• “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” / Rocketman
    • "I'm Standing With You / Breakthrough
    • “Into The Unknown” – Frozen II
    • “Spirit” / The Lion King
    • “Stand Up” / Harriet

DH1: “Speechless” / Aladdin

DH2: "A Glass Of Soju" / Parasite

There's no 100% guaranteed song here. It's not like last year that was all Shallow, Shallow, Shallow!

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:

• Ford vs. Ferrari
    • Joker
    • The Two Popes

DH1: The Irishman

DH2: Little Women

FYC: JoJo Rabbit

BEST SOUND MIXING:

• Ford vs. Ferrari
    • Joker
    • Rocketman
    • Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker

DH1: Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

DH2: The Irishman

BEST SOUND EDITING:

• Avengers: Endgame
    • Ford vs. Ferrari
    • Joker

DH: Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:

• Avengers: Endgame
    • Captain Marvel
    • The Lion King
    • Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker

DH1: Alita: Battle Angel

DH2: The Irishman

This is one category where superhero movies usually have their best chances. Interesting mix of favorite this year.

And there you go. Those are my picks for the nominees for the 92nd Academy Awards. We'll know who the true contenders are tomorrow morning bright and early!

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor85 at January 17, 2020 2:18 PM EST
  • JeffJones
    • 84 posts
    January 12, 2020 6:11 PM EST

The tradition continues, and yes the awards season is moving very fast for sure. It must be over a dozen years now you have been putting these up and always with a very good success rate. I am looking forward to seeing 1917 the buzz for this has been out of this world.

• Film_Fan
    • 53 posts
    January 12, 2020 11:36 PM EST

Good stuff once more year after year and again they all look mighty fine in my eyes.

• Admin
    • 27 posts
    January 13, 2020 2:31 PM EST

Here is the same post I made over at FTS.

What stands out for me right away is 11 for Joker and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917 and The Irishman with 10 each and Greta Gerwig snubbed for best director.

Will the third time be the charm for Tarantino? I am hoping he gets it this time and how about Brad Pitt after three previous will he walk off with it, the chance is very good I am thinking with stiff competition from Hanks.

Shockingly that was just my second post over there because I have been so busy and when I am at FTS I am busy researching, looking for pics, checking on that stars that have been on-site through the years, I never realize there were so many and some I actually have forgotten about so that project is a bit too big might not be possible to get every former TSO listed actor over there but we will see. I see it has surprisingly brought back a few from way back that have not been around in ages.

• Front_Row_Center
    • 68 posts
    January 13, 2020 11:32 PM EST

I would say GRETA GERWIG for director is a huge snub as is Jenifer Lopez and I never thought I would mention oscar and Adam Sandler in the same sentence. How the hell could The Farewell and Dolemite get NOTHING? I don't feel too bad over DeNiro not getting it because he would not win anyways and he is one of those actors that is totally unlikeable in how he treats people on the set from what I have heard I have never been there but I have heard recordings on how he treated his former assistant, the man is a low life.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    January 17, 2020 10:21 PM EST
    JeffJones said:

The tradition continues, and yes the awards season is moving very fast for sure. It must be over a dozen years now you have been putting these up and always with a very good success rate. I am looking forward to seeing 1917 the buzz for this has been out of this world.

Ever since I started doing it here back in 2002, I've liked the rapport. That's what keeps me wanting to do it. I may have stopped posting my Top 10 films of the year, but not my oscar predictions.

One thing. Ever since I first visited TSO, the race becomes extra-exciting whenever there'sw a young actor or actress in the race to earn an Oscar nomination. It first started 20 years ago with Haley in The Sixth Sense, then the following year with Jamie Bell in Billy Elliot, then the following year with Dakota Fanning in I Am Sam. The excitiement and intrigue just grows.

And even this year for Roman Griffin Davis in Jojo Rabbit. He became the youngest Golden Globe nominee for Best Actor - Comedy or Musical since Macaulay in Home Alone. The Oscar nod wasn't meant to be, though.

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor85 at January 17, 2020 10:22 PM EST
  • OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    January 17, 2020 10:23 PM EST
    Front_Row_Center said:

I would say GRETA GERWIG for director is a huge snub as is Jenifer Lopez and I never thought I would mention oscar and Adam Sandler in the same sentence. How the hell could The Farewell and Dolemite get NOTHING? I don't feel too bad over DeNiro not getting it because he would not win anyways and he is one of those actors that is totally unlikeable in how he treats people on the set from what I have heard I have never been there but I have heard recordings on how he treated his former assistant, the man is a low life.

What can I say? When you only have room for five nominations, it leaves room for a lot of snubs that can peeve people off.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    January 17, 2020 10:25 PM EST
    Admin said:

Here is the same post I made over at FTS.

What stands out for me right away is 11 for Joker and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917 and The Irishman with 10 each and Greta Gerwig snubbed for best director.

Will the third time be the charm for Tarantino? I am hoping he gets it this time and how about Brad Pitt after three previous will he walk off with it, the chance is very good I am thinking with stiff competition from Hanks.

Shockingly that was just my second post over there because I have been so busy and when I am at FTS I am busy researching, looking for pics, checking on that stars that have been on-site through the years, I never realize there were so many and some I actually have forgotten about so that project is a bit too big might not be possible to get every former TSO listed actor over there but we will see. I see it has surprisingly brought back a few from way back that have not been around in ages.

Hard to believe the last time Hanks was nominated before this year was during the very first Oscar race I was posting in TSO: the 2000 race and for Castaway. We all thought Hanks would become the first to win three Best Actor Oscars. Instead Daniel Day-Lewis beat him to it!

• Waverly
    • 3 posts
    January 20, 2020 2:25 PM EST

Very good pick a damn shame I used to like watching this show not anymore the posh American celebs have turned it into making political speeches, I don't watch Entertainment Award show to here celebrities who are filthy rich bemoan anything much rather watch our BAFTA