Forums » Movies

My Predictions for The 92nd Academy Awards

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    February 6, 2020 9:24 PM EST

How about that? They're happening this soon! Much to my relief, and I'm sure everybody else's, they will be back to the last Sunday of February. Whatever the situation, this has been an interesting race with a lot of interesting contenders. Here are my predictions for the Oscar winners:

BEST PICTURE

Will Win: 1917

Should Win & Closest Threat #1: Parasite

Closest Threat #2: Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

Seven out of the ten Best Picture winner of the 1990's grossed more than $100 million domestically. Seven of the ten Best Picture winners of the noughts also made it past $100 million domestically. But only two of the nine Best Picture winners of the 2010's have passed the domestic $100 million mark? Here's hoping 1917 will make it #3, at least.

BEST DIRECTOR

WW: SAM MENDES/1917

SW & CT: BONG JOON-HO/Parasite

Many months before I even first visited TSO (back in the fall of 2000) my aunt was to take me out to a movie. I expected an action movie I wanted to see. Instead I got American Beauty that was directed by Sam Mendes. I was mesmerized from start to finish. And it was one of many movies from the ground-breaking movie year of 1999 that launched my interest in film and the Oscar races.

Will history repeat itself for Mendes 20 years later? He's highly favored.

BEST ACTOR

SW & WW: JOAQUIN PHOENIX/Joker

CT: ADAM DRIVER/Marriage Story

Joker could have been a popcorn movie and the role of the Joker could have been a role good enough for a popcorm film. But Joaquin Phoenix went above and beyond everyone's expectations.

BEST ACTRESS

SW & WW: RENEE ZELLWEGER/Judy

CT: SCARLETT JOHANNSON/Marriage Story

Judy Garland never won a competitive Oscar of the two nominations she received in her lifetime. She did however win an honorary Juvenile Oscar in 1939 for her performance in The Wizard Of Oz. Renee looks poised to win the Oscar for portraying Judy.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

SW & WW: BRAT PITT/Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

CT: JOE PESCI/The Irishman

Interesting that Brad Pitt is the only nominee in this category that has never won an Oscar. Three nominations but never a win. This looks like it's finally his time!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

SW & WW: LAURA DERN/Marriage Story

CT: MARGOT ROBBIE/Bombshell

Laura's father Bruce Dern has been nominated twice but never won. Her mother Diane Ladd has been nominted three times without a win. Laura herself has been nominated twice before without a win. This could finally be it!

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

WW: QUENTIN TARANTINO/Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

SW & CT:  BONG JOON-HO/Parasite

I don't trust the Academy to give this award to a foreign film for the second straight year.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

SW: STEVE ZAILLIAN/The Irishman

WW: GRETA GERWIG/Little Women

CT: TAIKA WAITITI/Jojo rabbit

Interesting that Greta's common-law husband Noah Baumbach is nominated in Original Screenplay for Marriage Story.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

SW & WW: Toy Story 4

CT: Klaus

This looks like to be the most unpredictable year for this particular category. Toy Story 4 won the Critics Choice and the Producers Guild Award, Missing Link won the GG, and NetFlix's Klaus won the BAFTA and the Annie! I go with Toy Story 4 because even though I know the Academy doesn't normally pick animated sequels, Toy Story 3 is the only sequel to win this category.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

SW & WW: ROGER DEAKINS/1917

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

WW: MAYES RUBIO/Jojo Rabbit

SW & CT:JACQUELINE DURRAN/Little Women

Ever notice how this category mostlfavors timepieces? Very rarely sci-fi. Though Ruth E. Carter won for Black Panther last year. However all are timepeices this year. Even Joker is set in the 1980's.

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

WW: American Factory

CT: For Sama

BEST FILM EDITING

WW: MICHAEL McCUSKER and ANDREW BUCKLAND/Ford v Ferrari

SW & CT: YANG JIM-MO/Parasite

BEST HAIR and MAKEUP

WW: Bombshell

SW & CT: Joker

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM

SW & WW: Parasite (South Korea)

CT: Pain and Glory (Spain)

“Once you overcome the one-inch-tall barrier of subtitles, you’ll be introduced to so many more amazing films.”

-Bong Joon-ho

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

SW & WW: HILDUR GUðNADOTTIR /Joker

CT: THOMAS NEWMAN/1917

The only time a woman has won an Oscar for Score was back in 1997, when there were two Score categories: for dramas and comedies. Hildur looks heavily poised to be the second!

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

SW & WW: "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" - Rocketman

CT: "Stand Up" / Harriet

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

SW & WW: Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

CT: 1917

BEST SOUND EDITING

SW & WW: Ford v Ferrari

CT: 1917

BEST SOUND MIXING

WW: 1917

SW & CT: Ford v Ferrari

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

SW: Avengers: Endgame

WW: 1917

CT: The Lion King

This is another category with many awards boards giving its award to different movies. This will be one of the hardest to pick.

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM

WW: Hair Love

BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM

WW: Brotherhood

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

WW: Learning To Skate In A Warzone (If You're A Girl)

And there you go! Those are my predictions for the Oscars. We'll see how I fare on Sunday night.

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor85 at February 9, 2020 11:31 PM EST
  • Rog
    Rog
    • 21 posts
    February 6, 2020 10:56 PM EST

Snap so this 1917 World War 1 pic must be as good as they are all saying.

• Shawn
    • 41 posts
    February 7, 2020 8:51 AM EST

Very cool but you did not add your choice for Visual Effects I would like to know your choice ion that cat.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    February 7, 2020 4:18 PM EST
    Actually I was in a rush and I had problems with a library computer.
    Predictions for all categories are up now.
    Shawn said:

Very cool but you did not add your choice for Visual Effects I would like to know your choice ion that cat.

• Eldon
    • 15 posts
    February 7, 2020 9:00 PM EST

Thanks, I can't understand how a war movie could be in consideration for visual effects? is that not more for like Star Wars, Superhero movies and other sci-fi like stuff?

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    February 7, 2020 11:19 PM EST
    Eldon said:

Thanks, I can't understand how a war movie could be in consideration for visual effects? is that not more for like Star Wars, Superhero movies and other sci-fi like stuff?

A lot of the explosions in 1917 are part of the visual effects as well as the plane crash. Also there's the effect of making this film look like it's all a single take.

Also The Irishman is in there for making Joe, Robert and Al look 40 years younger without a big make-up job! That's the magic of CGI!

• Aaron
    • 1 posts
    February 8, 2020 12:03 AM EST

I want Toy Story 4 to win for the best-animated film.

• Walton
    • 13 posts
    February 8, 2020 8:05 PM EST

The best film is "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood," book it.

• FilmGuy
    • 13 posts
    February 9, 2020 11:33 PM EST

Excellent job with the picks, I left a comment over at FTS but I will add so far you were right on with many, just waiting for the big one in the best film, a bit of surprise with the best director but you said it was possible.

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    February 15, 2020 9:48 AM EST

I like your picks better, I am a bit annoyed that Parasite won big with Picture and Director my choices were different but that being said it is a very good film. I just thought 1917 was so extraordinary it deserved it.