Forums » Movies

My Top 10 of 2011

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    September 4, 2012 4:28 PM EDT

Yes I know I'm normally late with my Top 10 lists of the year but it took me a while to see all the movies and DVDs I had to see. So without further ado:

1) Hugo-Leave it to Martin Scorsese to create a masterpiece of a family movie. Hugo Cabret best symbolizes the child in a filmmaker's heart.
    2) The Descendants-Unlike any other Geroge Clooney film you've ever seen.
    3) Moneyball-Not only is it one of the best baseball movies ever made but one of the smartest too.
    4) The Artist-If silence is golden, then silence was Oscar gold in 2011. This film reminds you of what a lost gem silent movies are.
    5) The Help-The struggle to be free from the maid's point of view. Just as ugly but also as triumphant.
    6) A Separation-You don't have to be Iranian to fully understand this divorce drama.
    7) Midnight In Paris-Woody Allen's best in a long time. Reminds you why Paris is the city of legendary dreamers.
    8) 50/50-Who says comedy and cancer don't mix? They mixed here, and in a great way.
    9) The Tree Of Life-Not exactly the most entertaining movie of the year but of the most thought provking ones.
    10) Of Gods And Men-One of the best and truest depictions of religious conviction ever to grace the big screen.

HONORABLE MENTION:
    -Drive-Not just your typical crime drama but moments of real intimacy too.
    -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2-It's not just a movie series but an era in pop culture that ends with a bang.
    -Bridesmaids-Just when you thought everything that could go wrong before your wedding does, this movie proved your wedding ain't got nothing on this!
    -The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn-Best animated movie this year. Spielberg brings a European pop culture icon to life in a thrilling way.
    -Super 8-Possibly the best salute to Spielberg's adventures ever made.

OTHER BESTS:
    -Best Morally Redeeming Movie: Of Gods And Men-See above review.
    -Best Animated Film: The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn-While 2011 lacked the magic in its animated movies--even Pixar's Cars 2 was a dud--this was the class of this year's field.
    -Best Foreign-Language Film: A Separation-See above review.
    -Biggest Disappointment: Pirates Of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides-The POTC formula is so tried-and-tired I now just have to say "Hit the road Jack!"
    -Favorite Movie I'm Ashamed To Admit I Liked: Bridesmaids-What could have been formulaic or yet another ridiculously over-the-top comedy is a gem thanks to Kristen Wiig's co-writing and an ensemble of bridesmaids with their own unique personalities.
    -Best British Film: My Week With Marilyn-What appears to be an interesting story of Marilyn having a fling with a twentysomething British boy is also a unique look at the Marilyn few knew.
    -Best Popcorn Movie: Super 8-Winning story, winning special effects and a winning ensemble of kids make for a winning summer movie.
    -Best Live Action Family Film: Hugo-A family movie from Martin Mean Streats Taxi Driver Raging Bull Goodfellas Cape Fear Departed Scorsese? Yes! And a diamond of one to boot.

So there you go. My list of the best of 2011. Now to get focused on 2012. I've seen some good and some bad. Plus the Oscar fare is coming in months so hang tight!

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor at September 4, 2012 4:30 PM EDT
  • Lone
    • 15 posts
    September 4, 2012 4:34 PM EDT
    Yes I agre "Hugo" rocks and I dont mean Hurley from Lost. lol
  • O\u043f\u0456\u043a\u0443\u043d
    • 71 posts
    September 5, 2012 11:20 AM EDT
    Hello, are you sure you are not a professional film reviewer/expert etc?

Just wondering you know so much about movies and quality movies it seems you are not like a lot of people who lok at how much money it made etc.

I loved Super 8 it was an awesome and movie with so much excitement and I also love 'Hugo" great choice for the top movie.
  • Jon_Brit
    • 33 posts
    September 5, 2012 11:42 AM EDT
    I am wondering mate do you go to any so called blockbusters like the Battleships, Spiderman etc? just wondering because al your films are more the classy movies you know all I have seen in your top ten is "Hugo" and that is deserved, also seen Potter and Super 8 both excellent.
  • Skater_TJ
    • 90 posts
    September 6, 2012 12:39 AM EDT
    Awesome , I agree I loved "Super 8" it was a great time at the movies, and "Hugo" was an awesome movie.
  • OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    September 6, 2012 3:48 PM EDT

Actually I'm not a professional writer. I took journalism in college but making it as a writer is tough because it is a competitive field and thanks to the internet anyone can make a journalist of themselves. Also I'm missing one important ingredient in professional writing, an ego. Arrogance is especially key for being a film critic as it gives them the confidence to think that they're right despite all the flack they get from readers writing in. I'm not arrogant enough to be a successful film critic. Also if you noticed on my list, I give some commercial movies the benefit of the doubt unlike most professional film critics. They're most admiring these artsy movies few see like The Tree Of Life and Melancholia.

RHB-Fan said:
    Hello, are you sure you are not a professional film reviewer/expert etc? Just wondering you know so much about movies and quality movies it seems you are not like a lot of people who lok at how much money it made etc. I loved Super 8 it was an awesome and movie with so much excitement and I also love 'Hugo" great choice for the top movie.

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    September 6, 2012 4:00 PM EDT

Yeah, I see blockbusters. I like blockbusters but I do my rankings mostly on the basis of writing, acting, directing and producing. A lot of those blockbusters, especially the ones you mentioned, are great but their main forte is the visual effects while it's mostly lacklustre in terms of writing and acting performances.

Jon_Brit said:
    I am wondering mate do you go to any so called blockbusters like the Battleships, Spiderman etc? just wondering because al your films are more the classy movies you know all I have seen in your top ten is "Hugo" and that is deserved, also seen Potter and Super 8 both excellent.

• $NavyBoy$
    • 49 posts
    September 7, 2012 5:07 PM EDT
    All those top ten films are artsy rubbish that teens don't care about except for Hugo and the special mentions of Harry Potter, DRive and Super 8. These are the only obe that win Oscars anyways it seems, when will a Raiders of the Loast Ark type win?
  • OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    September 9, 2012 7:26 PM EDT

I think because the Acadaemy, like me in my Top 10 list, put a lot of emphasis on dircting efforts, scriptwriting, and acting performances. Those action movies excel in a lot of the technical stuff, especially visual effects, but are pretty lacklustre in terms of the core stuff I just talked about. Mind you I myself usually leave off a lot of movies I enjoy on each year's lists because of those factors. There were some movies I didn't exactly enjoy like The Artist or The Tree of Life that I had in the Top 10 because of its filmmaking quality. When I concoct a list like this, filmmaking excellence takes priority over personal enjoyment.

NavyBoy said:
    All those top ten films are artsy rubbish that teens don't care about except for Hugo and the special mentions of Harry Potter, DRive and Super 8. These are the only obe that win Oscars anyways it seems, when will a Raiders of the Loast Ark type win?

• Jon_Brit
    • 33 posts
    September 11, 2012 2:27 PM EDT
    What you said makes a ton of sense but in the end what does a studio prefer a Best Film Oscar and 50,000,000 gross or no a movie that the fans flocked to and made 200,000,000?
  • Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    September 12, 2012 2:50 PM EDT
    OmahaTrevor I like your list, very good movies on the list but you do have to love movies in a special way to go to these films as most of the movie going public looks for action or really funny movies like "Ted" and so true has a blockbuster ever won best film?
  • Admin
    • 27 posts
    September 20, 2012 2:14 AM EDT

I have one for you, in 1987 “Platoon” won and there is nothing slow or artsy about that film it is a gritty realistic look at the war in Vietnam. The movie is excellent in all areas with some outstanding performances.

NavyBoy said:

• JeffJones
    • 84 posts
    September 30, 2012 1:37 AM EDT
    A good top ten list, I am happy to se "Hugo" on the top this is an amazing film, that is well made in all areas, very little you can find fault with.

The Descendants is absolutely brilliant, the only one I am not to fussy about was Tree of Life.
  • Jeffrey007
    • 43 posts
    September 30, 2012 7:51 PM EDT
    Platton is one of the more grittier movies that won a best Oscar, like most mentioned Oscar winners for Best Film tend to be artsy dramas, period pieces and the like.
    I would rank "The Descendants" as my top film with "Hugo" a close second, other than that a great list. 

This post was edited by Jeffrey007 at September 30, 2012 7:52 PM EDT