Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

World Cup 2014

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    December 8, 2013 6:04 PM EST

It's been a while since someone has posted a sports topic. I figured since they just drew the World Cup groups, I'd make some comments. I will do most of my focus on the US and England since most of the site's visitors hail from those two places.

Isn't it something that both England and the USA are in 'Groups of Death?' I actually saw the draw live. It was morning time for me when the draw was happening. I think it was shown on ESPN. I forget. I have to say that when England was drawn for Group D, who else heard people in the audience saying "Ohhhhh?" You can't really blame them. England's a great team provided they have what it takes to deliver. Nevertheless it is a surprise to see them in the same group as Italy and Uruguay. Italy has always been a powerhouse and Uruguay has its best team in decades. Nevertheless we shouldn't think it's all over for England. Don't forget Italy choked in the last World Cup, and as defending champions. Also Uruguay has a vulnerable side too. We'll see in June. Isn't that something? Three past World Cup winners in one First Round group?

And now to the USA. Of all Groups Of Death, I think the USA is in the deadliest. There's traditional greats Germany which has a reputation for consistency, if not big wins. There's Ghana which is one of Africa's top teams and has given the US upsets in the past two World Cups. And there's Portugal which has its best team ever and currently ranks as one of the best in Europe. So that will be a nail-biter. Also it will give me some confusion who to cheer for on June 16th: Germany or the USA?

As for the other groups, it's surprising to see previously underrated countries like Belgium and Switzerland be considered 'seeded' teams. Mind you France will try to make Belgum think whether they deserve their 'seeded' label as will Russia to Switzerland. Argentina has an easy group as does Colombia. Group A will no doubt have Brazil at the top but the second spot will be a tight fight between Mexico and Croatia. Also can you believe Group b? The very first match is a rematch of the finals from 2010! How about that?!?

Anyways those are my World Cup thoughts. If anyone wants me to make a prediction, I predict the final will be Brazil vs. Argentina with Brazil winning. We'll see in six months.

• Innocence
    • 3 posts
    December 8, 2013 8:49 PM EST

I always like Germany, but this time around I say Argentina.

• Chris Kross
    • 37 posts
    December 9, 2013 3:49 PM EST

Yes I watched the draw also mate and yes we ended in the Group of Death. I sure hopt eh boys can climb out of the sodding pit of death but I am not holding me breath.

• RobG
    • 7 posts
    December 18, 2013 3:38 PM EST

Italy, Italy all the way.

• Adrien
    • 20 posts
    December 18, 2013 3:49 PM EST

France all the way, my side is the best side.

• joseP
    • 10 posts
    June 12, 2014 2:23 PM EDT

We Are Brazil and we wont stop till we have the cup, I am so excited and first match today vs Croatia I wil be glued to the TV.

THis world Cup is going to be awesome, I hope Brazil win.

•  Andr\u00e9s
    • 14 posts
    June 12, 2014 2:27 PM EDT

Brazil is good but I have to go for my side, Costa Rico, but yes Brazil has a best chance to win.

We Are Brazil and we wont stop till we have the cup, I am so excited and first match today vs Croatia I wil be glued to the TV.

THis world Cup is going to be awesome, I hope Brazil win.

[/blockquote]

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    June 13, 2014 5:57 PM EDT

A stunning 5-1 defeat today of a favored Spain by the Dutch team, but the Dutch are no slouches and very well coached.

• Garyiscool
    • 69 posts
    June 18, 2014 8:30 PM EDT

Spain heads home empty handed, and a nother won for the Dutch team today over Australia, wow they are playing awesome.

They have 8 goals in their two games including that absolutely spanking of Spain 5-1.

[blockquote]Klattuu said:

A stunning 5-1 defeat today of a favored Spain by the Dutch team, but the Dutch are no slouches and very well coached.

[/blockquote]

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    June 19, 2014 12:08 AM EDT

Yes shocking to see the end of Spain, I had them as a fav to be right back in it but it was not to be. Watch out for that Dutch team.

• OG John
    • 86 posts
    June 26, 2014 3:44 PM EDT

Congratulations to you there in the USA as you are off to the group of 16 despite losing out to German 1 to nill, Germany again win their group what a team.

•  Andr\u00e9s
    • 14 posts
    June 30, 2014 9:55 AM EDT

The Netherlands KLM airline tweeted Adios Amigos when they won over Mexico and it has made Mexico angry, so they took the weet back. Now on July 5 when we beat the Netherlands I will say Adios Amigos.

• Adrien
    • 20 posts
    July 3, 2014 11:46 AM EDT

GO FRANCE GO All the way World Cup bring it home.

• OG John
    • 86 posts
    July 3, 2014 2:48 PM EDT

Well they sure look good and still in it, wish I could say same for bloody England.

[blockquote]Adrien said:

GO FRANCE GO All the way World Cup bring it home.

[/blockquote]

• OG John
    • 86 posts
    July 6, 2014 12:00 PM EDT

Well Andres looks like the Netherlands said Adios Amigo to your side but dont fret you guys did great and it did take penalties to win but Netherlands is on a mission.

[blockquote] Andrés said:

The Netherlands KLM airline tweeted Adios Amigos when they won over Mexico and it has made Mexico angry, so they took the weet back. Now on July 5 when we beat the Netherlands I will say Adios Amigos.

[/blockquote]

• Shawn
    • 41 posts
    July 6, 2014 12:06 PM EDT

@Andres, Costa Rica did awesome and yes they played same even till extra time.

•  Andr\u00e9s
    • 14 posts
    July 6, 2014 12:53 PM EDT

I am so down

[blockquote]Shawn said:

[/blockquote]

• OG John
    • 86 posts
    July 6, 2014 1:51 PM EDT

I know how you feel lad, I felt the same when England got bounced so early, look how far your side went and lost by penalties.

You will get over it. cheers

[blockquote] Andrés said:

I am so down

[blockquote]Shawn said:

[/blockquote]

[/blockquote]

• Nasru
    • 21 posts
    July 7, 2014 10:06 AM EDT

I hate penalty kicks they should play till there is a score in extra time like other sports.

• OG John
    • 86 posts
    July 9, 2014 3:55 PM EDT

Who would have think, a complete dismantling of Brazil by the German machine....7 to bloody 1 what is that American Football and Germany by a touchdown they call it.

• joseP
    • 10 posts
    July 11, 2014 2:52 PM EDT

Dont make fun and dont remind me I was crying.

[blockquote]OG John said:

Who would have think, a complete dismantling of Brazil by the German machine....7 to bloody 1 what is that American Football and Germany by a touchdown they call it.

[/blockquote]

•  Andr\u00e9s
    • 14 posts
    July 11, 2014 3:02 PM EDT

Sorry fro that Jose but also my Country Costa Rica was put out by the Dutch on penalty kicks so I was happy to see same happened to them.

• O\u043f\u0456\u043a\u0443\u043d
    • 71 posts
    July 11, 2014 3:05 PM EDT

Andres and Jose dont worry your teams went far and yes Andres I was also happy to see Netherlands out.

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    July 12, 2014 2:22 PM EDT

JoseP, I'm an American born to a German mother. Of course I was cheering for Germany. When I saw Germany's first goal, of course I was cheering. When I saw the second goal from Klose, I was both cheering and wondering 'Is this too much too soon?' at the same time. But after goal after goal, I was stunned in disbelief.

I do see your side that it was heartbreaking. In fact 20 years ago when I was eight, Germany was defending cup champions. I saw the quarterfinals with my mother at the German American Society in Omaha. I was expecting Germany to win. Everyone was. But losing 2-1 to Bulgaria and out of the running? I was heartbroken and I cried too. I think that was the only time I cried over a lost soccer game. However I was conforted by two older people at the club. Yes, I was the little heartbreaker there. :-D

I hope this Twitter picture makes you feel better. In fact you should remember at the end of the game, the  first people to console the Brazilian team were the Germans. You have to admire them for being good sportsmen. Also I hope Brazil wins tonight. I want to see them win for pride.

[blockquote]joseP said:

Dont make fun and dont remind me I was crying.

[blockquote]OG John said:

[/blockquote]

[/blockquote]

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor at July 12, 2014 2:24 PM EDT
  • Sofine
    • 66 posts
    July 12, 2014 8:10 PM EDT

Who do you cheer for RHB? since your country was not represented, you must give Netherlands credit for a superb series.

[blockquote]RHB-Fan said:

Andres and Jose dont worry your teams went far and yes Andres I was also happy to see Netherlands out.

[/blockquote]