Forums » Movies

My Top 10 Movies of 2013

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    August 7, 2014 11:13 PM EDT

There are some of you who may have wondered when I'll finally publish my annual movie list like I normally do. Well here goes:

MY TOP 10 OF 2013

1. Nebraska-It first appears to set up for a cheesy story but turns out to be a gem in the end.
    2. Dallas Buyers Club- Great acting and an intriguing story that makes you think.
    3. Twelve Years A Slave-Hard to watch at times but really an excellent work.
    4. Gravity-Usually movies don't allow for too much creativity or originality. This was excellent and winning.
    5. Captain Phillips-Has one of Tom Hanks' best performances as well as an excellent upstaging by newcomer Barkhad Abdi.
    6. Blue Jasmine-A phony who could please 'em all but pleased nobody in the end.
    7. Her-This may be an eccentric story like a lot of Spike Jonze's movies but it makes sense in the end.
    8. The Great Beauty-An Italian film that reminds us of passion.
    9. The Wolf Of Wall Street-Too over the top to rank higher. Nevertheless makes it very clear how money is possibly the most addictive drug.
    10. Frozen-This year's top animated movie spawned a following that grew and grew over time. Something that hasn't happened in years.

Honorable Mention:

• Blue Is The Warmest Color-I hope none of you see this before you turn 18! No matter how good this film is.
    • Inside Llewyn Davis-A good depiction of a folk musician from way back.
    • Before Midnight-Possibly the end of a romance trilogy spanning 18 years. As the actors age, the story progresses with them.
    • Philomena-A charming story involving a topic many in Ireland find hard to speak of.
    • American Hustle-Is this a crime story or is it showtime for the actors? I'm confused.

OTHER BESTS:

Best Animated Feature: Frozen- A no-brainer. How many other movies in 2013 inspired a sing-along version?

Best Popcorn Movie: Gravity- It was eye-catching, well-written, well-acted and paid off well at the box office.

Best Comedy: Blue Jasmine- Woody Allen always delivers with an entertaining story without the typical Hollywood ending.

Best Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty- Just when you thought the flare of Italian filmmaking had flared out, it makes a comeback.

Best Documentary Feature: Twenty Feet From Stardom- t reminds you that sometimes being a backup singer is better than being the star voice.

And there you have it. My top picks. Feel free to let me know your thoughts.

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor at August 7, 2014 11:13 PM EDT
  • Eric02
    • 7 posts
    August 16, 2014 10:46 PM EDT

Holy do you realy watch all those kind of movies? I only saw Frozen and Gravity both awesome.

• Shawn
    • 41 posts
    August 17, 2014 10:32 AM EDT

Cool, I only saw Gravity, Captain Philips and Frozen and they do belong on a top list.

• Skater_TJ
    • 90 posts
    August 17, 2014 12:18 PM EDT

Yea Trevor watches many movies, so many on that list I would not even go to. lol not saying they are not good but not my bag.

I saw 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, FRozen and Capt Phillips.

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    August 17, 2014 7:46 PM EDT

Another good listing from Trevor who has been posting them here for well over a decade.  I can see how kids here would not have gone to most of them.  These movies are all fantastic and I agree with the list with a personal fav being Blue Jasmine.

• Jazzy_Girl
    • 24 posts
    August 17, 2014 9:10 PM EDT

Frozen was so awesome I would put it as my number one movie last year.

• Sofine
    • 66 posts
    August 17, 2014 11:54 PM EDT

Very good, like most I have seen thre same four, Captain Phillips, 12 Years, Gravity and Frozen.

Now based on your list I am goign to try and see all since they can be seen now without having to go to the movies.

I will especially try to see your number one rank as it must be a good movie to be ranked there.

• Cams_Fan
    • 7 posts
    August 18, 2014 3:20 PM EDT

I have seen them all, great top ten list but I would have Twelve Years A Slave as number one.

This post was edited by Cams_Fan at August 18, 2014 3:21 PM EDT
  • Skater_TJ
    • 90 posts
    August 26, 2014 12:30 AM EDT

Captain Phillips was such an awesome movie, so much excitement and even though you knew the end it was still awesome.

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    August 28, 2014 6:00 PM EDT

I agree, some don't like going to films based on true evens because they know how it all turns out but this was great regardless.

[blockquote]Skater_TJ said:

Captain Phillips was such an awesome movie, so much excitement and even though you knew the end it was still awesome.

[/blockquote]

• New_Girl
    • 5 posts
    August 28, 2014 8:32 PM EDT

Looks like most teens seen the same ones I saw 12 Years a Slve, Gravity, Captain Phillips and Frozen and all deserve on the top list. cx

• Front_Row_Center
    • 68 posts
    August 30, 2014 11:30 PM EDT

Excellent choices, you have great taste I can't dispute any that you have on the list. My only change is I thought 12 Years a Slave was the finest film of that year so I would have it as first.

• Rachel
    • 83 posts
    September 4, 2014 5:44 PM EDT

Gravity and Frozen were awesome the best movies of they year.

• O\u043f\u0456\u043a\u0443\u043d
    • 71 posts
    September 5, 2014 3:27 PM EDT

I enjoyed Captain Phillips, always like Tom Hanks movies.

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    September 6, 2014 5:43 PM EDT

Yeah a lot of them were very good. Though i admit it I find it awkward putting some movies that aren't age-appropriate for most of you on this list. Like please, wait until your 19 to see Blue Is The Warmest Color.

• JeffJones
    • 84 posts
    September 11, 2014 2:22 PM EDT

Can't find any fault in this list, my fav was "Dallas Buyers Club" so that would be my number one but besides that I agreew itk all other son the list as I have seen them all.