Forums » Movies

My 2015 Academy Award Predictions

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    February 24, 2016 9:09 PM EST
    Okay, there's just a few days to go until Chris Rock hosts this year's Oscars. This year's race was full of excitement and controversy. Nevertheless the show will go on Sunday and the winners will be revealed. And here are my predictions for the 88th Academy Awards for who Should Win (SW), Will Win (WW) and my predicted winner's Closest Threat (CT) or threats:

BEST PICTURE:
    WW: The Revenant
    SW & CT1: The Big Short
    CT2: Spotlight

This year has to be the closest and most unpredictable race in years. Three heavy favorites. Spotlight won the Critics Choice award. The Revenant won the Golden Globe and BAFTA. However the big surprise was The Big Short winning the Producers Guild award. I'm siding with The Revenant. Besides the Best Picture Oscar is long overdue to have a blockbuster win it.

BEST DIRECTOR:
    SW & WW: ALEJANDRO GONZALES INARRITU/The Revenant
    CT: GEORGE MILLER/Mad Max: Fury Road

Here's a bit of Oscar trivia. The last time a director won back-to-back Best Director Oscars was Joseph Mankiewicz back in 1950. Inarritu looks heavily poised to be the first since. As well as the 20th to win the Best Director Oscar twice.

BEST ACTOR:
    SW & WW: LEONARDO DiCAPRIO/The Theory of Everything
    CT: MICHAEL FASSBENDER/Steve Jobs

What can I say? This has been Leo's year. And not simply because he was mauled by a bear. His role involved a lot of non-verbal physical acting.

BEST ACTRESS:
    SW & WW: BRIE LARSON/Room
    CT: CATE BLANCHETT/Carol

One of out every three Best Actress wins is to an actress under 30, and that includes Jodie Foster winning it twice before her 30th birthday. This year is the first year since 2003 that three or more of the Best Actress nominees are under 30. The win is expected to go to 26 year-old Brie Larson.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
    WW: SYLVESTER STALLONE/Creed
    SW & CT: MARK RYLANCE/Bridge Of Spies

Let's face it. Sylvester Stallone may be King Of The Razzies but the role he was best at was Rocky Balboa. In fact he was born to play it. Makes sense that he wins it on what could be his last performance as Rocky.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
    SW: ROONEY MARA/Carol
    WW: ALICIA VIKANDER/The Danish Girl
    CT: KATE WINSLET/Steve Jobs
     This category is full of scene-stealers. There's Kate Winslet whose role in Steve Jobs was able to upstage that of Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander who was able to upstage Eddie Redmayne. This may be the toughest acting category to call so I say Alicia.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
    SW: ALEX GARLAND/Ex Machina
    WW: THOMAS McCARTHY & JOSH SINGER/Spotlight
    CT: MATT CHARMAN, JOEL & ETHAN COEN/Bridge Of Spies

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
    SW & WW: ADAM McKAY & CHARLES RANDOLPH/The Big Short
    CT: PHYLLIS NAGY/Carol

What can I say? I was that impressed with The Big Short. No wonder its screenplay has been winning all the big accolades.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:
    SW & WW: Inside Out
    CT: Anomalisa

Let's face it. Pixar is always at its best when it goes for an original story where they go more freestyle instead of something too family friendly like Cars or The Good Dinosaur. Besides I liked the world of the mind they created in Inside Out. A deserving winner.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
    WW: EMMANUEL LUBEDZKI/The Revenant
    CT: ROBERT RICHARDSON/ The Hateful Eight

Hmmm, when was the last time someone won an Oscar in the same category three straight years in a row? Anyone? I'm sure there was at least one. Whatever the situation, Lubezki will be the one to pull of that rare feat this year.

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
    SW & WW: JENNY BEAVAN/MAD MAX: Fury Road
    CT: PACO DELGADO/The Danish Girl

Usually the Oscar rewards costumes for period pieces. Isn't it refreshing to see a win for costuming for a sci-fi or fantasy movie for once?

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:
    WW: Amy
    CT: Cartel Land

Let's face it. For documentaries this year, there was Amy and there was every other documentary.

BEST FILM EDITING:
    WW: HANK CORWIN/The Big Short
    CT: MARGARET SIXEL/Mad Max: Fury Road

I took a chance on this. Margaret Sixel has won the most accolates but The Big Short is a better Best Picture favorite. So I picked Corwin.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
    WW:  Son Of Saul (Hungary)
    CT: Mustang (France)

BEST MAKEUP:
    WW: Mad Max: Fury Road
    CT: The Revenant

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
    SW & WW: ENNIO MORRICONE/The Hateful Eight
    CT:  THOMAS NEWMAN/Bridge Of Spies

For all the decades Ennio Morricone has composed film music, his time appears to be now. From The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly to Days Of Heaven to The Mission to The Untouchables to Bugsy to Inglourious Basterds, he has waited a long time for this.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
    WW: "Til It Happens To You" – The Hunting Ground
    CT: "Earned It" - 50 Shades of Grey

Let's face it. It's the year of The Gaga for the song of the year.

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:
    WW: COLIN GIBSON/Mad Max: Fury Road
    CT: JACK FISK/The Revenant

BEST SOUND MIXING:
    CT: The Martian

BEST SOUND EDITING:
    CT: Mad Max: Fury Road

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
    WW: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    SW & CT:: Mad Max: Fury Road

Of course Star Wars' effects would be the best of the year but they didn't reign supreme. They did get some competition from Mad Max: Fury Road and The Revenant. Nevertheless I believe they'll win here.

BEST ANIMATED SHORT:
    WW: Sanjay's Super Team
    CT: World Of Tomorrow

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT:
    WW: Ave Maria
    SW & CT: Shok

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT:
    WW: Body Team 12
    CT: Claude Lantzman: Spectre of the Shoah

And there you go. Those are my predictions for these Oscars. Tune in Sunday to see who wins. Also tune in to see what Chris Rock has up his sleeve. Bet he has lots.
  • Admin
    • 27 posts
    February 25, 2016 12:22 AM EST

Well done, can't poke any holes in your picks, I like "Bridge of Spies" but I agree it will not win that Best picture.

In that category here are my fav in order.

Bridge of Spies

Brooklyn

Spotlight

The Revenant

The Big Short

Room

The Martian

Mad Max Fury Road

This post was edited by Admin at February 25, 2016 9:45 AM EST
  • OG John
    • 86 posts
    February 25, 2016 2:13 PM EST

@OmahaTrevor85, proper mang mate a good read, I would rather have you pic the winers than the pikeys on the board.

@Admin so low you have an action pack Mad Max and Revenant, you like dramas I guess.

• MariaD
    • 17 posts
    February 26, 2016 2:31 PM EST

Very nice info, I really like the movie Carol.

• Summer
    • 13 posts
    February 26, 2016 9:56 PM EST

Yes MariaD Carol is very good, what I dont understand is why was The Peanuts Movie not nominated that was an awesome animanted movie.

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    February 27, 2016 1:00 AM EST

Excellent as always through the years my friend, I can't wait the Oscars are the big night, many other award shows I like but none can match the excitement of this night.

I agree with you The Revenant is going to clean up, DiCaprio is such an outstanding actor, from his roles as a teen you could see that.

• 3 Degrees
    • 1 posts
    February 29, 2016 12:09 AM EST

Spotlight best pic...did not see that coming..did not see it don't want to.

• Riley
    • 34 posts
    February 29, 2016 12:37 PM EST

Some nice picks, good one there getting Brie larson, the best pic was a surprise. A lot of techical wins for Mad max.

• Rog
    Rog
    • 21 posts
    March 1, 2016 9:00 PM EST

Good picks, I like your best pic more should be either Revenant or Mad Max, why they always pick the most boring prechy movies for best pic?