Forums » Movies

My Predictions for the Winners of the 93rd Academy Awards

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    April 24, 2021 6:24 PM EDT

At first I didn’t think I would be able to watch all the Best Picture nominees before Oscar night this year. However I did it. That also meant signing up for Hulu, Disney+ and also renting on Youtube. What can I say? Netflix only had two of the eight Best Picture nominees. Not as expensive as the box office, but still a challenging expense.

Anyways the Academy Awards will be happening this Sunday. The Oscars promise to be an experience like a movie. We’ll see! Also it will be curious to see how many winners show up to accept. So here are my predictions for the Academy Awards for who Should Win, Will Win and the anticipated winner's Closest Threat:

BEST PICTURE

Should Win and Will Win: Nomadland
    Closest Threat: Promising Young Woman

There were a lot of complaints how most of the Best Picture nominees were morbid downer films. Something we could do without after a downer morbid 2020. Like Bill Maher said: “You don’t have to go to church if you want to feel guilty, dirty and bad. Just watch Nomadland.” Actually it’s not that bad. It’s an excellent film, but it is a downer of a film.

BEST DIRECTOR:

SW & WW: CHLOE ZHAO/Nomadland
    CT: LEE ISAAC CHUNG/Minari

This is the first year two women were nominated for Best Director. If heavy favorite Chloe Zhao wins, she will become the second female winner of this category.

Oh yeah, Zhao is the director of the next MCU release: The Eternals!

BEST ACTOR

SW & WW: CHADWICK BOSEMAN/Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    CT: ANTHONY HOPKINS/The Father

There have been posthumous acting nominations before, but only two – Peter Finch and Heath Ledger – have won. Chadwick looks poised to be the third.

BEST ACTRESS

WW: CAREY MULLIGAN/Promising Young Woman
    SW & CT: VIOLA DAVIS/Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

This is the major category that will be hardest to predict. Andra won the GG, Carey won the Critics Choice, Viola won the SAG and Frances won the BAFTA. I’m tempted to go with Carey on this, despite how unwatchable the film can get.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

SW & WW: DANIEL KALUUYA/ Judas And The Black Messiah
    CT: SACHA BARON COHEN/Trial Of The Chicago 7

Rebels of the 1960’s are the big treat in this category. A Black Panther vs. the leader of the Yippies. Daniel has it here.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

SW & WW: YUH-JUNG YOUN/Minari
    CT: MARIA BALAKOVA/Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

The year after Parasite wins Best Picture, another film predominantly in Korean is a favorite at this year’s Oscars. Youn was excellent as the grandmother.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

SW & WW: EMERALD FENNELL/Promising Young Woman
    CT: LEE ISAAC CHUNG/Minari

Promising Young Woman is quite possibly the angriest film to be nominated for Best Picture I’ve ever seen. The rage in Emerald’s story of Cassie can easily be sensed. It’s like the #MeToo movement wrapped up in two hours!

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

SW & WW: CHLOE ZHAO/Nomadland
    CT: CHRISTOPHER HAMPTON & FLORIAN ZELLER/The Father

The most unique thing about Nomadland is that the story includes these modern-day nomads including some from Jessica Bruder’s book. I hope I don’t have to make a nomad of myself in my older years, but it is an inciteful story.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

SW & WW: Soul
    CT: Wolfwalkers

It almost seems like a foregone conclusion that a Disney movie or a Disney/Pixar movie will have this category owned. And it’s no surprised since Soul is the undisputed animated hit of the year!

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

WW: JOSHUA JAMES RICHARDS/Nomadland
    SW & CT: ERIC MESSERSCHMIDT/Mank

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

SW & WW: ANN ROTH /Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    CT: ALEXANDRA BYRNE/Emma

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

SW & WW: Time
    CT: My Octopus Teacher

BEST FILM EDITING

WW: ALEX BAUMGARTEN/Trial Of The Chicago 7
    SW & CT: MIKKEL E. G. NIELSEN/Sound Of Metal

It’s interesting in a year where people complain how this year’s crop of Best Picture nominees are morbid and downer, the favorites in this category are from the two most uplifting Best Picture nominees of the year.

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM

WW: Another Round (Denmark)
    SW & CT: Quo Vadis, Aida? (Bosnia-Hercegovina)

It’s interesting many people see Thomas Vinterberg as the ‘heir apparent’ to Lars von Trier. Another Round didn’t show many von Trier traits. Actually Another Round was very watchable. A bizarre story, but very watchable, unlike von Trier’s works. Besides Vinterberg is not von Trier anyways.

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIR

WW: Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    CT: Mank

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

SW & WW: TRENT REZNOR, ATTICUS ROSS and JON BATISTE/Soul
    CT: TRENT REZNOR and ATTICUS ROSS/Mank

Looks as though Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are the film composers of the year. Who would’ve thought the brains behind Nine Inch Nails would become a film composer that could have John Williams looking over his shoulder?

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

SW: ‘Husavik’ – Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
    WW: ‘Speak Now’ – One Night In Miami
    CT: ‘Io Se (Seen)’ – The Life Ahead

This is the hardest to predict. Although I have a special liking for Husavik, as well as the Contest itself, I have to pick Speak Now.

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

SW &WW: Mank
    CT: Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

I remember some journalist wrote the Academy loves films about Hollywood. Mank is that film about Hollywood and it’s Golden Age, and some not-so-golden things behind the scenes.

BEST SOUND

WW: Sound Of Metal
    CT: Greyhound

One of the best traits of Sound Of Metal is its creativity with the film’s sound.

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

WW: Tenet
    CT: The Midnight Sky

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM

WW: Burrow
    CT: If Anything Happens I Love You

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

WW: A Love Song For Latasha
    CT: Do Not Split

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

SW & WW: Two Distant Strangers
    CT: Feeling Through

And there you have them! Those are my predictions for the winners of the 93rd Academy Awards. Winners to be decided tomorrow night. Hard to believe the Oscars are just one weekend away from what should be the start of the summer movie season. What can I say? 2020 was an unpredictable year and 2021 is the year we’re waiting things to get back to normal!

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor85 at May 14, 2021 2:18 PM EDT
  • Sk8er_Boi
    • 5 posts
    April 24, 2021 6:45 PM EDT

I have not seen not one of the movies dude but a few I want to see.

• Emo Girl
    • 9 posts
    April 26, 2021 11:05 AM EDT

Unwatchable, that is no place for your political agenda, should be the lowest-rated ever nobody cares, I did not watch just saw here online how they spouted their anti-police bias, my uncle is a police officer and a good one. go to hell liberal Hollywood elites.

• Jeff_Wincott
    • 93 posts
    April 26, 2021 11:24 AM EDT

Glad to see Nomadland win, I don't watch but I am interested in the results, great picks.

This post was edited by Jeff_Wincott at April 26, 2021 11:31 AM EDT
  • Jeff_Wincott
    • 93 posts
    April 26, 2021 11:29 AM EDT
    I have not watched in years I have a deep disdain for Hollywood's Liberal hypocrites, I care more about the characters they play than I do about them they can OD for all I care. Hypocrites the lot and a car jacker run-up in their Mercedes they are the first calling 911 for a cop, not a social worker, MORONS. Thank your uncle for serving we need police we don't need the criminal trash ripping up our cities they all need to be jailed for a very long time.
    Emo Girl said:

Unwatchable, that is no place for your political agenda, should be the lowest-rated ever nobody cares, I did not watch just saw here online how they spouted their anti-police bias, my uncle is a police officer and a good one. go to hell liberal Hollywood elites.

• Lukas
    • 33 posts
    April 28, 2021 3:49 PM EDT

You are a good fan of movies but I have not heard of furthermore seen any on that list.

• Front_Row_Center
    • 68 posts
    April 28, 2021 4:49 PM EDT

Unwatchable I am surprised a whole 9 Million a record low tuned in, they shooting themselves in the foot, the box office take tumbles year after year unless they have some marvel comic characters on screen or a bloody Star Wars movie, the first three should have been left alone.

I like loves to see a good film but sick of them pushing their progressive agenda in the script and characters of every movie, people are not going to movies and will be even less even after this bloody pandemic has passed.

Leftist braindead 1% who railed against police while police protect their venue, these bloody idiots have their private security so easy for them to call for no police while the inner city turns into something out of "Escape From New York" and speaking of escaping from NY people are emptying out of that cesspool at an alarming rate, soon only the serial predator Gov will be left along with the wishy-washy commie mayor.

This post was edited by Front_Row_Center at April 28, 2021 4:51 PM EDT
  • Michelle
    • 1 posts
    April 28, 2021 7:19 PM EDT

@FrontRowCenter my mom see what you wrote and is angry she says she is A progressive, she likes Hilary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi. I told her to ignore you just a conservative college type.

• MariaD
    • 17 posts
    April 29, 2021 3:08 PM EDT

No divisive American politics plz I am in Portugal, back to the Oscars I have not seen one single nominated movie, not one but because "Nomadland" won the best pic I am on a quest to see that.

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    May 2, 2021 10:58 PM EDT

Trevor does another great job as usual and I also did not watch and I have not for a few years, it is too bad that awards shows are just completely being ignored by viewers, back in the days maybe even 90s and below the Oscars were a can't miss and a rating bonanza especially 70s and 80s.

Is it the politics well a big part of it I think but also other factors come into play, these A-listers just are not as revered or placed in awe as they were years back when people did not know much about them, their tweets and other post expose who they are now and it is a turn off to many.

I will remain always interested in movies and in who won but not in watching the ceremonies.

• Lanette
    • 7 posts
    May 3, 2021 10:56 AM EDT

You guys are so anti celeb and the like I don't watch award shows nor do I care who wins I just enjoy the movies.

• Walton
    • 13 posts
    May 5, 2021 12:22 AM EDT

This one Asian was pissed cause Boseman lost these days people are to win just because of race, Hopkins won because he was judged to be the best and he has proven through the years he is an awesome actor.

• Jon_Brit
    • 33 posts
    May 14, 2021 2:18 PM EDT

I am done with Hollywood, I am from this time forth watching only films produced in my local industry and other foreign productions.