Forums » Movies

My Predictions For The 2021 Academy Awards

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    March 26, 2022 8:43 PM EDT

I’d like to thank you all for voting in all my Oscar polls. Even those that voted in my Young Actor Oscar Snub poll made my February and March! Now that the awards are happening tomorrow, you think I’d let you all go without my annual Oscar predictions? Think again! Once again I attempt to predict the winners. This year has been anything but predictable. Even the way in which they will show the Oscars is hard to estimate. What can I say? 2021 was the worst year ever for awards show ratings as a whole. Not just the Oscars. So they’re doing what they can to bring the ratings to a healthy number, if not back to their original stats.

Big ratings or not, film fans will still take a note in the Oscars for who wins what. They will still have their say on who deserves to win and who they feel will take it. As for me, I'm still doing predictions. My full predictions are at FTS. Here I'll just post the major categories and the more popular technical categories. So here are my predictions on who Should Win (SW) the Oscar, who Will Win (WW) and my closest threat (CT) to my winner prediction:

BEST PICTURE

SW & WW: The Power Of The Dog
    CT: CODA

A lot of people will think The Power Of The Dog is this year’s Brokeback Mountain. In reality, Power is a novel from the 1960’s that inspired Annie Proulx to write her short story Brokeback Mountain which was adapted in the film we know today.

BEST DIRECTOR

SW & WW: JANE CAMPION/The Power Of The Dog
    CT: KENNETH BRANAGH/Belfast

When Jane was nominated, she became the first female director to get a second Best Director nomination. She looks heavily poised to be the third-ever winner!

BEST ACTOR

SW & WW: WILL SMITH/King Richard
    CT: BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH/The Power Of The Dog

For those that remember me back when I joined TSO back in 2000. I hated Will Smith. You can thank Just The Two Of Us for that! Fans of Will can thank his performance of Richard Williams for redeeming him in my eyes!

BEST ACTRESS

SW & WW: JESSICA CHASTAIN/The Eyes Of Tammy Faye
    CT: NICOLE KIDMAN/Being The Ricardos

Six of the lead acting nominees this year are in performances of living people or people who existed. This category is the portrayal of Tammy Faye Bakker against the portrayal of Lucille Ball. I feel it’s Jessica Chastain’s time.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

SW & WW: TROY KOTSUR/CODA
    CT: KODI SMIT-McPHEE/The Power Of The Dog

Somw of you who may have been at this site during its earlier years may remember when Kodi Smit-McPhee was a young rising talent who would continually impress. Even as he hit puberty, he would still continue impress and wouldn't lose his edge. Well chances look very good he could win tonight. He already has a Golden Globe. However he faces tough competition from deaf actor Troy Kotsur. Not surprisingly CODA is Power's biggest rival for the Best Picture award. This should make for an exciting showdown!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

SW & WW: ARIANA DEBOSE/West Side Story
    CT: KIRSTEN DUNST/The Power Of The Dog

I’m no expert in Oscar trivia but I think it’s possible the role of Anita in West Side Story will become the first role to win two Oscars in two different film adaptations.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

SW & WW: KENNETH BRANAGH/Belfast
    CT: PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON/Licorice Pizza

Admit it! You all enjoyed the story of Buddy (who’s actually Little Kenny Branagh) trying to live out his childhood and dream along during a time of encroaching political hostility. It’s a story that successfully blends the feelgood moments with moments that get you thinking.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

SW & WW: SIAN HEDER/CODA
    CT: JANE CAMPION/The Power Of The Dog

CODA is about a 17 year-old girl who’s the only member with hearing. It’s about her learning of a talent she never knew she had. It’s about her goals and dreams conflicting with her family’s goals. It’s about deaf family members and both their fun and their hidden insecurities. Those that missed it, see it. It’s worth seeing.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

SW & WW: Encanto
    CT: The Mitchells vs. The Machines

Funny when this category first arrived, Walt Disney Studios was struggling while Pixar collaborating with Disney was the one winning big. Now that Walt Disney Studios have learned how to work 3D animation, they’ve shown the can now hold their own. And Encanto is the perfect film to send that message.

BEST FILM EDITING

WW: PAMELA MARTIN/King Richard

CT: MYRON KERSTEIN and ANDREW WEISBLUM/Tick, Tick… Boom!

To think back in 2019, the Academy thought of having four Oscars in the “lesser” categories awarded without broadcast. This led to a lot of social media backlash and eventually all 24 categories were shown. This year only 17 will be broadcast and whatever social media backlash changed nothing. This might be one of the non-broadcasted categories. Will this off-screen awarding work? You be the judge.

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM

SW & WW: Drive My Car (Japan)
    CT: The Worst Person In The World (Norway)

It almost seems like a foregone conclusion that whatever film in this category gets nominated for Best Picture is the eventual winner here. But there have been surprises in the past. 

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

SW & WW: HANS ZIMMER/Dune
    CT: JONNY GREENWOOD/The Power Of The Dog

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

SW: “Down To Joy”/Belfast
    WW: “No Time To Die”/No Time To Die
    CT: “Dos Oruguitas”/Encanto

Many of you are shocked “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” isn’t nominated. Actually it isn’t even shortlisted. Oscar rules state maximum two nominees in this category. I think that’s what did it. Nevertheless it does make for an interesting battle of Encanto vs. Billie Eilish. Chances are still good for Lin-Manuel Miranda to become the latest EGOTist.

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

SW & WW: Spider-Man: No Way Home
    CT: Dune

Many people are expecting Dune not to win in Best Picture or Screenplay but to sweep in all of its technical categories. Spider-Man in this category is one of the few I expect to block its path.

OSCARS CHEER MOMENT

WW: Spider-Man team-up in Spider-Man: No Way Home
    CT: Avengers assemble in Avengers: Endgame

Alright, so this isn’t really an official Oscar category. But I thought I’d predict the win just in case.

And there you go! Those are my predictions for this year’s Oscars. If you don’t want to tune in for the show, at least tune in to see which predictions I got right!

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor85 at April 9, 2022 12:37 PM EDT
  • The Rose
    • 3 posts
    March 26, 2022 9:18 PM EDT

Thank you for your list you are usually right on the money.

• Teen Angel
    • 3 posts
    March 30, 2022 10:32 PM EDT

I wanted "The Power Of The Dog" to win, I mean what the heck is "Coda": I am happy tho that Encanto won for the best-animated film.

• Jeffrey007
    • 43 posts
    April 6, 2022 11:58 PM EDT

I was actually shocked that The Power Of The Dog did not win and it is not because "Coda" is not a good movie it is just Power is better, they got it wrong.

• Mikael_Kurri
    • 8 posts
    April 9, 2022 10:23 AM EDT

I think that is very good how you picked out Wil Smith for the best actor, I never saw that movie it is not my cup of tea but you got it right on and good job with the movie picking Coda as an upset.

• Justin R
    • 4 posts
    April 9, 2022 12:37 PM EDT

Thank you for your good picks, it seems the slap is more talked about than the winners.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    June 1, 2022 8:07 PM EDT
    Jeffrey007 said:

I was actually shocked that The Power Of The Dog did not win and it is not because "Coda" is not a good movie it is just Power is better, they got it wrong.

I agree. Power Of The Dog was a better film in terms of filmmaking. The thing is its buzz went out too early and CODA knew how to take full advantage of POTD's fading Oscar buzz.