Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Book Recommendations?

• Front_Row_Center
    • 68 posts
    August 4, 2012 1:48 PM EDT

My "to read" queue is empty. Can anyone recommend something good they've read lately? I'm just about to finish up Colum McCann's brilliant, lyrical and poignant book Let The Great World Spin.

Without any good recommendations, I'll be forced to re-read Catcher in the Rye for the 5th time.

Please give me something to read!

I might be shouting in the wind because I doubt the teens of today ever pick up a novel, unless I suppose it is shaled like a video game controller or and Ipod.

• One_Love
    • 5 posts
    August 4, 2012 2:10 PM EDT
    Please do not lump us all together I love reading, maybe not the books you read but I am now reeading all of Enid Blyton's novels and right now I am deep in the adventure of The Island of Adventure. These books are great for kids, teens and any age looking to get lost in some adventure.

For you I dont know what to suggest unless you try these.
  • O\u043f\u0456\u043a\u0443\u043d
    • 71 posts
    August 5, 2012 11:20 AM EDT
    I do not know what you like but you are wrong also in mycase about teens do not read, I am currently reading Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and I am enjoying it.
  • Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    August 5, 2012 11:40 AM EDT
    I do agree with you in these days of the Ipod the Playstation 3 and X-Box kids do not know what a book is unless they are forced to read it for school.
    For fiction try GONE GIRL, by Gillian Flynn or WHERE WE BELONG, by Emily Giffin , and for non-fiction maybe look into UNBROKEN, by Laura Hillenbrand or WILD, by Cheryl Strayed.

Front_Row_Center said:

My "to read" queue is empty. Can anyone recommend something good they've read lately? I'm just about to finish up Colum McCann's brilliant, lyrical and poignant book Let The Great World Spin.

Without any good recommendations, I'll be forced to re-read Catcher in the Rye for the 5th time.

Please give me something to read!

I might be shouting in the wind because I doubt the teens of today ever pick up a novel, unless I suppose it is shaled like a video game controller or and Ipod.

• Jazzy_Girl
    • 24 posts
    August 5, 2012 12:22 PM EDT
    I read, itz boys that dont read they never pick up a book cuzz they would have to put down the video game controller. lol lmao.
  • Tristan
    • 36 posts
    August 5, 2012 3:18 PM EDT
    Books, what are those? lol
  • Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    August 6, 2012 4:52 PM EDT

I hope you are joking but it is a fact you teens of today never read a book unless you have to for school.

I bet you spend all your time either playing video games, watching TV or listening to music.

Tristan said:

This post was edited by Klattuu at August 6, 2012 4:53 PM EDT
  • August 6, 2012 6:25 PM EDT
    Klattuu said:

I hope you are joking but it is a fact you teens of today never read a book unless you have to for school.

I bet you spend all your time either playing video games, watching TV or listening to music.

Tristan said:

i read a lot of books.

ive read all the Harry Potter books.

im reading now the books by Jim Butcher about Harry Dresden,the only wizard in the yellow papers.

next to that is a book waiting called Limit,written by Frank Schätzing.

its a German writer.

the books about Darren Shan are also good to read.

and ofcourse the books by Stephen King.

• <i>Deleted Member<\/i>
    • 4 posts
    August 6, 2012 7:23 PM EDT
    I don't read that much, but Michael does read a lot and we are still young you know. (Michael read 1,000 books in first grade) very proud of him and yes, that was one thousand books. I will tell him to write you some recommendations.
  • Tristan
    • 36 posts
    August 6, 2012 8:40 PM EDT

Whoa! are you serious he read 1000 books in first grade?? wel no wonder you guts are so smart, me I dont like reading.

Nathaniel Pena said:
    I don't read that much, but Michael does read a lot and we are still young you know. (Michael read 1,000 books in first grade) very proud of him and yes, that was one thousand books. I will tell him to write you some recommendations.

• Glamour_Girl
    • 13 posts
    August 6, 2012 10:25 PM EDT

I completely agree and these video games are a major contributor to illiteracy around the world.

Klattuu said:

This post was edited by Glamour_Girl at August 6, 2012 10:26 PM EDT
  • Rachel
    • 83 posts
    August 7, 2012 12:17 AM EDT

That is awesome, great going for Michael.

I do agree that most kids our age these days are not into reading which is a shame, I do love reading myself a good book is awesome entertainment.

Nathaniel Pena said:

This post was edited by Rachel at August 7, 2012 12:17 AM EDT
  • Garyiscool
    • 69 posts
    August 12, 2012 10:08 PM EDT
    Kids just read The Hunger Games if you have not so far, it sure wil keep you hooked and turn you into a reader.
  • Sweet_Chick
    • 7 posts
    August 20, 2012 4:30 PM EDT
    Excuse me but I do read, my fav book is Holes and I love the movie also and Khleo Thomas when he was a kid in Holes OMG! lol I also read Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, Harry Potter books, Hunger Games so yea.
  • February 8, 2014 2:24 PM EST

Im reading at the moment Under the Dome,written by Stephen King.

And another book i read next to that is the Gone books.
    There are six books in the series and i hope it will turned into a TV serie one day.
    Im reading book 2.
    The books are written by Michael Grant.
    From one moment to the other all the kids and adults from 15 years and older dissapeared into nowhere.
    The younger kids stay behind and our hero is Sam Temple:
    The youngest kids needs attention and care,baby´s in houses need to get feed.
    In the beginning its chaos.
    The FAYZ is a fact now.
    FAYZ is Fall-Out Alley Youth Zone.
    Who will lead the kids in the Zone,Sam?
    He himself is totaly mot interested to lead them.
    Next to that,he has developed some strange power,it was there before the Zone,but now its stronger.
    Then kids from another school arives and take over town by sweettalk.
    The Coates Academy kids.
    On that school were put the difficult kids,bully's and other juveniles.
    Are they the ones to lead the town?
    Next to Sam,there are other kids who has grown powers.
    They discover that the town,Perdido Beach,and a large piece of desert and the Nuclear power plant are under a Dome like structure.
    Or are they locked up in a perfectly round orb?

Read it yourself how they develop and try to survive in a small piece of world,the food that is almost finished and the power struggle between the Coates Acadamy and the kids from Perdido Beach.